Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Home Game Fast Blinds = Lot\'s of fun (TR)

I got some guys together last night to break in my new poker table.

It ended up being a 9 person "Turbo" style sit-n-go with rebuys allowed for the first 20 minutes. And I've got to tell you, everyone had a blast.

Format: NL Texas Hold'em
Buyin: $10 T1000 in chips.
Rebuy for $10 during the first two rounds (20 minutes).
Blind change/increase every 10 minutes.
Payout: 50/30/10

10/20
15/30
25/50
50/100
100/200
150/300
200/400
300/600
400/800
500/1000

We started playing at the 10/20 blind level but realized after the first game was over that particular level and the 15/30 wasn't really needed and the consecutive games we played started at 25/50, thus eliminating the red chips.

We played a total of 3 games because a couple of the guys got there late for the first one (so we waited/watched Hockey game until they arrived). They didn't want us posting blinds for them unless they were seated. There was some incredible bad beats and I even dealt a Royal Flush to my youngest son (which ended up vaulting him heads-up with me in the last game for first place). Anyhow, on to the good stuff!

<u>Game No. 1</u>

My oldest son has an incredible knack for betting in NL Hold'em. He picks two cards and bets them. He does not know the pot odds, percentages, etc. He just plays what he feels is a good hand and he managed to bubble all the way to fourth place, grabbing a big percentage of my stack along way. In the two instances I decided to play with him, I had QJo. On the flop for both of the hands, there was a J and an overcard on the board. On both of those hands he played and won with J6o and J7o. His thinking was simple on both occasions; he had a pair and bet them. He had me confused and I layed my hand down and his J would hold up against another player with a small pocket pair. I ended up finishing in fifth place and was blinded out and being a fantastic host, dealt the remainder of the game. My son bubbled out of the money on a weak draw and the winner of game #1 won with 58s against 48o heads-up. The third place finisher was the chip leader for the majority of the game until his pocket JJ was sucked out on the river with a straight. Nothing too fantastic about the first game.

<u>Game No. 2</u>

I put two terrible beats on a new comer to our game in back to back hands. I had been getting great cards this round and I had stacked a guy on the first hand with my AA in late position, he had AKo and was out after the first hand and I double up right away. A couple hands later this happens; The first of the two hands I was in middle position with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he was seated to my immediate right. Blinds were at 50/100. UTG folds, he bets 200, I raise an additional 200, button and blinds fold, he tanks and finally calls. Flop is:

K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] x x

He thinks and then bets all-in, I insta call, he flips up QQ and it’s game over for him.

He quickly rebuys before the timer goes off and the very next hand I’m dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I’ve never had that happen before in consecutive hands and have begun to lick my chops for the next person to bet. Mr Rebuy is now UTG and open raises making it 300 to go, I think for a second (knowing Mr Rebuy has a big hand and is slightly on tilt) and re-reaise another 300. Every one folds around to Mr Rebuy, he shoves all-in, I insta call AGAIN and I couldn’t believe he had QQ again. When he saw my Ace’s he sank into his chair in disbelief. The weapons of mass destruction hold up and he ends up dealing the rest of this game. I go on to win this one with a sizeable chip lead. It had been awhile since I had been in the winning chair and it felt good.

<u>Game No. 3</u>

My own personal card parade kept coming in the final game also. I had a big chip lead again all the way to the bubble. My youngest son also played and loves being short stacked. I kind of sat back and watched as he doubled up twice and ended up knocking Mr Rebuy out again. Nothing fancy about his play, he was just patient enough to wait and choose his spot to move. Finally it’s three of us. The third place guy was really down on chips but squeaked into the money barely. I’m on the button and this hand happens:

Blinds are 100/200. I get two junk cards and toss’em. SB is 3rd place in chips and my youngest son is in the BB. SB raises all in with his remaining 450ish stack, my son calls and they flip their cards heads-up. My son is holding K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and SB has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Flop is: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

My son flops “The Royal” and I had the pleasure of dealing it to him. Wow, I’ve never seen a flop like that let alone a Royal Flush on the flop heads up. Good stuff!

We end up going at it heads up back and forth for a few hands and I keep ribbing him to chop with me, all in good humor with my youngest (he’s 18). Anyhow, a couple of hands into it I get KK again. I raised about half my stack and he re-raises me all in. I couldn’t believe my luck tonight however my luck was about to run out. I call and he flips over AJs. I proudly flip up my Kings and he starts to sink down in his chair. The flop is:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

My kings are looking good.

Turn is a blank and the river is a J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I get second and my youngest son gets to brag for two weeks that he beat me. I love poker. It’s such a great game. I can’t wait to bring out the table again. Anyone ever notice how time just fly’s right by when you play? It was a lot of fun. We had a lot of big hands in these games. Speaking of which, the quick blinds makes for some interesting decisions if you have a borderline hand. Big hands seem to hold up with this type of structure. Your garbage type hands of Ax suited or worse tend to get killed more often. I liked the structure. I liked being able to play more than two games in one night. We started at around 8:00pm and ended at 1:00am (wife works from home and starts early on Sunday). Our next TOC game will be in two weeks. And I’ll be sure to TR it for the boards.

Good Luck Everyone!

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Home Game Fast Blinds = Lot\'s of fun (TR)

Nice report- glad it worked out for you, Dancing Alien Freakman

BTW, how were those hands in Game 2 terrible beats?
"I put two terrible beats on a new comer to our game in back to back hands"

You had the best hand both times! Yes, he had horrible luck, but that's not the same thing.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, how were those hands in Game 2 terrible beats?
"I put two terrible beats on a new comer to our game in back to back hands"

You had the best hand both times! Yes, he had horrible luck, but that's not the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right - He had very, very unfortunate luck and since he was a new comer he took a serious thumping on both hands. If I remember correctly this guy only played about 8 other hands. Talk about a bad night of cards. He claims he will return for our next game.

P [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM

yeah, definitely not "terrible beats" when you have the best hand both times...
table looks great, glad it went so well, nice TR
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM

yea we are trying this tomro, its gunna be lots of fun