Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:30 PM

Default NL10 - Good river for a blocking bet?

Villain was a bit on the donkish side, limp called with weak aces, suited junk etc. No stats, I'm playing without PAHUD.

I never block bet, I don't really get when to use it. To me it acts as a deterrent to missed flush draws to bluff. It feels like all they are good for is avoiding tricky decisions on the river when we check, villain bets big, and we think, well my check was weak so he could be bluffing, heck if only I'd bet then I'd know for sure. But we want to induce these bluffs, right?

So here I don't really like the river, villain could easily have 9x. I could check with the intention of calling a smaller bet, it's a good card for a missed draw to bluff, representing the 9. Is cc/cf best here (depending on bet size) or is this the spot to put out a blocker?

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BTN: $15.60
Hero (SB): $11.75
BB: $8.65
UTG: $6.75
MP: $10.35
CO: $12.80

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG calls $0.10, MP folds, CO calls $0.10, BTN folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.60</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.10</font>, CO calls $1.10

Turn: ($3.60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.40</font>, CO calls $2.40

River: ($8.40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero ????????
Old 11-25-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: NL10 - Good river for a blocking bet?

this is a tough spot given villains stack size is about a PSB... i suppose you could bet about 3 and fold but even that would be questionable with the odds you get. id say check/calling here is better bc a busted flush could fire, as well as busted straights that paired a 7.

has villain shown aggression or is he generally weak and calling?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:43 PM

Thinking about this some more, I think cc/cf is best. I've narrowed villain's range down to 9x and draws, possibly 88, so betting is fairly pointless here, all it does is prevent a bluff. 88 is the only hand that may call a bet. I guess villain could also have a poorly played fh, again betting does nothing.

If I thought villain could have an over pair, then perhaps a blocker would be a good choice, extracting a little bit of value.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is a tough spot given villains stack size is about a PSB... i suppose you could bet about 3 and fold but even that would be questionable with the odds you get. id say check/calling here is better bc a busted flush could fire, as well as busted straights that paired a 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the first pot I played with villain OOP, so not too sure how he will respond to weakness. In position, he'd been check calling down fairly light, leading with weak tpgk type hands, but leading fairly weak. I'd say he's more on the passive side, but capable of bluffing a missed draw.

What sized bet do you call on the river? I would call a half pot sized bet, would struggle to call a pot sized bet.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the first pot I played with villain OOP, so not too sure how he will respond to weakness. In position, he'd been check calling down fairly light, leading with weak tpgk type hands, but leading fairly weak. I'd say he's more on the passive side, but capable of bluffing a missed draw.

What sized bet do you call on the river? I would call a half pot sized bet, would struggle to call a pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he has been generally passive, then i am with you. i probably am folding to a shove but calling up to about a half a pot bet. imo a weak-loose player is not a deep thinking player and i dont see him shoving on a bluff.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Interesting spot. I think a b/f would be best here of about 4. My reasoning is that villan is passive so I don't think he'd be capable of raising missed FD's here only slowplayed FH's or 9's (villan is a donk, he is capable of slowplaying on 2 flush board). C/fing to a PSB and c/cing a 1/2 sized bet kinda sucks b/c villan would be more likely to put out a full sized bet on a bluff, where a 1/2 sized bet looks more like a value bet. Also, checking will lose value from all the hands that will check behind here.