Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:50 PM

Default 25NL : Set facing huge raise on river

Villain plays very nitty (I have him at about 10/4 over a few hundred hands), I'm not overly impressed with his postflop skill. Even though he's super nitty, is this still a call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($37.45)
BB ($21.25)
UTG ($35.80)
MP ($30.05)
CO ($62.30)
Button ($36.40)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2.50, BB folds.

Turn: ($8) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: ($8) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $32.3</font>, Hero calls $28.30.

Final Pot: $72.60
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Re: 25NL : Set facing huge raise on river

Raise on the flop so you can get the stacks in. As played call is ok, there are only 2 hands that beat you.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 PM

Well there are actually 3 hands than beat you (65 hit on the turn) but a guy who is 10/4 probably would not raise that preflop. Anyway someone like that is definitely capable of playing AA or AK this way, both of which are more likely than TT imo. Im insta calling.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 PM

Pretty spazzy play by him considering the only draw on the flop hit and he really can't have it. When people make plays that don't make sense and I have a set, I usually call.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im insta calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 PM

More money on the flop please -- the merits of donking/cr'ing are debatable. But whichever method you use, you're oop and you need to get more money in on the flop so that you can get it in before the river, or make the river easier for your villain to call.

c/c, c/r turn is the weakest line to take with a set because it'll fold out so much that we'd like to stay in. Well, okay, c/c, c/c, c/c would be worse...

If you're in position, you can flat call a dry flop...
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 PM

I agree that I should have c/r flop. At the time I was worried about losing him since he was so nitty, dumb play by me. Oh well, will do better next time.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:13 PM

i dont really see flat calling as a dumb play here. if he is as nitty as you say he's not betting this flop without a strong hand and there is only a single hand that has you beat. he could put you on such an array of hands that he has to get the money in with a hand like AK or AA, all of which you shouldnt mind him seeing the turn.

you really shouldnt worry about TT stacking you off here. even if he has it you can chalk it up to a bad beat. anytime you let vilian draw that thin you're doing alright AS LONG AS YOU GET HIM TO COMMIT MONEY ALONG THE WAY.

what does everyone think the best line here against an uber nit is? smooth call flop and bet turn? if villian has AK or AA we can value bet his ass all the way. if he has less he's folding to any aggression anyways.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:21 PM

What is better betting the flop or checking raising oop? So if you were in position you can just check/call? Is that better than checking raising? If the pot was just heads up would you still checking raise or just check/call flop? Would you play a set the same way as a multi way pot?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 AM

I like the flop c/c. The board is so dry that a donk is getting most hands to fold as is a c/r. Im probably going to lead the turn for 1/2 pot, something weak looking where he can hopefully come along. As played there really isnt much else you can do. Your hand is beyond underrepped and his makes no sense. Im guessing its TT alot if hes as nitty as his stats suggest but I cant fold here tbh.