Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 AM

Default When to (not) continuation bet?

Any general principles to the in-position, PLO continuation bet? (assume 6-max microstakes)

I've watched a few Cardrunners PLO videos by Stinger and SBrugby, and they seem to CB more than 50% in position. Most of these CBs are with air, but they manage to buy the pot most the time. Sometimes they bet ragged boards, but they will also bet very scary boards, as well.

I have started to CB a lot, but have had mixed results, and I know I'm doing it in too many situations.

So what are some common situations of when to (or when NOT to) CB in PLO? Particularly in terms of flop texture, but also in terms of # of players, player styles, stack sizes, hero's image, etc.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: When to (not) continuation bet?

good (tight) table image >> weak enemy >> position >> dry board
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 AM

against 1 opponent i c-bet close to 100% - the only time i wont c-bet is if i have something like no pair with a NFD or an open ended straight draw - a hand that cant really stand a reraise, you really want to see the turn fairly cheaply - my cbetting then decreases according to the number of opponents rather than any kind of board texture - i tend to run about 25/10 so a board like 678 is easily a board i can have a piece of
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM

Wow I think I could write an entire book chapter on this topic and since I play almost entirely HU PLO, it's an important part of your artillery. But the tl;dr version of that is basically to c-bet a lot more frequently in PLO. You can get away with repping a tonne more hands particularly at the lower stakes where people are much less inclined to call light or float.

[ QUOTE ]
against 1 opponent i c-bet close to 100%

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded EXCEPT if I've been uber-active already and the flop coulda absolutely smacked his range and you have complete air. Of course I think it's important to bet super-scary flops a decent amount of time with air as well as check them in order to get future action and for deception but in general...mash that pot button HU baby and be less inclined multi-way!
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 PM

Very good strategy post.

I like the above replies.

For a while, I was half potting the flop when checked to me alot whether or not I liked the flop, but I have a bad habbit of taking the middle path that in poker often leads to a bad end. I think it is better to pot or check depending on flop, op and image. Maybe 60/40 pot:check.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM

I'm certainly discovering that I am c-betting much less in Omaha than I was in NLHE. I guess the reason is obvious in that it is much more likely that your opponent has caught a piece of the flop in Omaha - the c-bet is nowhere near as powerful as it is in HE.

I've only been at this for a week or so since moving over but here is my strategy thus far:

If I've caught a decent piece of the flop and think I am ahead I pot.

If I have a draw with limited outs (8 or 9) I usually check behind because I don't want to be forced to fold to a c/r.

If I think I am behind at the moment but have a huge draw I like to bet about half the pot. This is likely to entice a call and build the pot. I may also pick up a free card if I miss one of my outs. Also I'm not as fearful of a c/r with this type of hand.

If I completely whiff I'm usually checking behind unless I have a pretty strong read that my opponent will fold. Even then I'm probably not c-betting this very often unless the opponent is weak and the flop is dry.

Overall I'm probably c-betting 60% of the time vs. close to 85% in HLHE.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I have a draw with limited outs (8 or 9) I usually check behind because I don't want to be forced to fold to a c/r.

If I think I am behind at the moment but have a huge draw I like to bet about half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don`t mix this up it`s like playing against superusers....anyone with half a brain will know your cards..
Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don`t mix this up it`s like playing against superusers....anyone with half a brain will know your cards..

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously. I've only been playing Omaha for about a week and I'm still feeling things out - this includes trying to determine c-bet frequency and purpose of doing so. I'm not really observed as a regular yet so I'm using this time to try different things and this is where I am at the moment. Once I get a better grasp on this variation will be the next step - along with adding more hands and increasing pre-flop raising frequency. One step at a time though.

I'm also dabbling at small limits relative to my bankroll and plan on moving up soon so I'm not too worried about making a lasting impression at .50/1 - so come get it while you can [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm certainly discovering that I am c-betting much less in Omaha than I was in NLHE. I guess the reason is obvious in that it is much more likely that your opponent has caught a piece of the flop in Omaha - the c-bet is nowhere near as powerful as it is in HE.

I've only been at this for a week or so since moving over but here is my strategy thus far:

If I think I am behind at the moment but have a huge draw I like to bet about half the pot. This is likely to entice a call and build the pot. I may also pick up a free card if I miss one of my outs. Also I'm not as fearful of a c/r with this type of hand.

If I completely whiff I'm usually checking behind unless I have a pretty strong read that my opponent will fold. Even then I'm probably not c-betting this very often unless the opponent is weak and the flop is dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that the c-bet is much more effective in PLO, actually. It's fine to check marginal hands (but that could easily be best hand or improve to best hand) that can't stand a raise sometimes, but when you completely whiff and you're up against one player, you should be c-betting close to 100% of the time unless you're up against a total call station, because it will work so much of the time and it's usually your only way to win the hand.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that the c-bet is much more effective in PLO, actually. It's fine to check marginal hands (but that could easily be best hand or improve to best hand) that can't stand a raise sometimes, but when you completely whiff and you're up against one player, you should be c-betting close to 100% of the time unless you're up against a total call station, because it will work so much of the time and it's usually your only way to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. When transitioning to PLO you read all the beginner stuff that teaches you that unless you have the nuts or are drawing to the nuts you shouldn't be in the hand. Unfortunately this results in you becoming either a) a nut peddler or b) playing scared.

I'm not a victim to 'a' but have to be cautious about 'b'. I'm not too worried about it and will work it out but I will not move up until I do. It's interesting going from a 22/18 SHNL guy to a 29/5 PLO guy. I'll figure it out but after 5 years of NL it may take some time...

Actually in the last day or so I'm probably guilty of raising too much seeing as I'm not overly confident about PLO post flop play but I need to put myself in these situations if I have any hope of working these situations.

So like I said earlier... come and get it while you can... lol.