Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Puzzles and Other Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 12:54 AM

Default Re: POG Movie/Music/TV Club Thread

Gonna kinda type some as I listen (listening now).

Dry the Rain - So far band seems a little soft for my likings.. I have trouble appreciating alternative/rockish (hard to describe) music that is a little slow. However, I feel the vocals go well with the raspy sound and it would be good music for a lounging around the house type of atmosphere. I generally am not into long music only sections of songs, but the buildup to the climax of this song was really great. However, the song felt a little repetitive to me but had a good buildup as the song went along. I didn't particularly love the ending as it kinda faded out and don't think it addressed the rhythym of the rest of the song well.

I know - As Elroy mentioned about the vocals.. is this intentional or a poor recording? I don't think this song is accomplishing what it wants to because the vocals are too soft. I understand the vibe it is setting, but I think it is detracting from the overall intention by the vocals because the listener is struggling to understand rather than relaxing. The beat and sounds are great and impactful, but would be better served with a louder voice track.

B+A - This song is crazy. It starts with a soft pianoesque intro, and then the metalish sound almost makes me feel like a Gravity Kills track. It's like I'm ready for them to break right into "Guilty". I don't understand the change at about a minute in, though.. it sounded kinda forced. This sounds cool, but strikes me as odd on an album. I could see this song being used in a Metroid sequence. It seems like cool video game music, but I couldn't imagine getting into this song live. The change halfway through the song seems entirely forced and doesn't flow well with the rest of the tune, imo. It seems like a bunch of cool sounds thrown together that would work as a movie/video game/something background, but I don't really like it as one song on a cd. I could never picture myself getting in my car and saying "damn, I would love to hear some A+B right now".

Dogs Got a Bone - Better, and I think answers some of my earlier criticisms well. I think the song flows well, you can hear the lyrics. I particularly like how the words flow at about a minute and a half with the "Listen" verse. Again, a little slow for my taste but all in all I think a good song that I can get into.

Inner Meet Me - Again I feel a video game beginning, Asteroids anyone? I'm not sure what the purpose of the laser sounds are in regards to the track. Maybe I can't get the point because I am struggling again to hear the lyrics. I love how the guitar fades in though and becomes predominant for awhile.. I think that was very well done. I just think that it would have been equally as awesome to leave out the laser sound and just start right with the guitar fade in. I found them a bit distracting at the beginning. I really like the pace of the lyrics again, though. They know when to speed up slow down for effect and its done well. Also on this track I really like the use of the cymbals and whatever that other drum is that you can hear. It really adds to the overall tone well.

The House Song - I like the beginning with the repeated words acopella (sp?), It sets the mood well for the song. When he sings the beginning I get a Vast feeling (think Three Doors). I love Vast so I enjoy his voice in the beginning. I would like to see the intro cut maybe a little shorter, but all in all I think it is building up the energy of the song really well. Once the music kicks in they do a great job of keeping the intro going and working it into the song. A strange change, again, in the song but this one works better in my opinion. I generally don't like clear changes during a song but this one is done pretty well for the middle of the song. The end trails off weird, though.. and it's almost like we got our lasers back from Inner Meet Me. Really enjoyable for a bit, but disliked the ending.

Monolith - I can see the beginning of this song used in a Tarantio film. I can almost picture the credits of Pulp Fiction or something rolling to this song. Those laser sounds are now becoming a staple and I'm not sure what I think about that. I'm struggling with this one because its so long and in the middle I don't feel like a lot is happening. In fact, I just don't understand this track at all. I could see myself playing some of these songs again but I would probably never listen to this track. Really long, nothing is happening. Every now and then I get birds, a harmonica, triangles.. I dunno.

She's the one - Still some of the strange sounds, but in this track they don't feel forced. Whatever is going on in the background is going really really well. Again, I like the guitar a lot here.. and once again the vocal rate is really good. A good tool used in this song is the volume of the vocals (or at least the intensity?) seems to be buidling along with the rate. Is creating good energy. About mid track we get some strange eletronica sounds again, but in this song it all really blends well and I like it.

Pushit Out - I kept waiting for something to happen in the beginning. If they did the "Push It Out.. Push it allll out" line about 40 seconds instead of 1:40 without something else happening I woulda loved it. The way they had the intro you could break out a hard rock, slow jazzy type, hell anything and it would work well. This song just developed slow I think. We didn't truly get past the intro until 2:00 in a 5:00 song. Then I kinda realized the whole song is like the intro. I dunno, here. Lot of potential with the sounds and the intro.. I just don't feel like anything ever happened.

It's Over - Cool start. As opposed to some of the others we're definitely going somewhere. Music is flowing well with lyrics. Plus, the sounds in this song are cool and really complement the vocals. Even when we get the standard music change and the "spooky" sounds it flows well.

Dr. Baker - This song beginning definitely gives me a Vast feel again. With the almost gregorian chanting sounds. Kinda neat sounds in this one, again I feel we are at least complementing the vocals well. I like the vocals here a lot.

Needles in my eyes - Slow, decent. For once the whispering type vocal works well as you can hear the words and the music is soft and works well. They really do well building a song here which I have criticized a lot. As we go through the tune we are getting good buildup, drums are used well, and his vocals expressed that buildup. Even when it slows down again I feel its done with a purpose. Good song, well done.

The few songs I really got into were the ones it felt somewhat like Vast to me. The difference is Vast would use the cool sounding chanty intros and then break into a hard song that flowed really well. A lot of these songs left me unsatisfied because I don't feel like we ever got past a beginning and into a real song. Therefore, I had trouble getting into many of them.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:12 PM

bump.

Kinda dissapointed in discussion.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:48 PM

bumpin dis, since I've been gone. haven't gotten ahold of Time Bandits, but will do so asap and post thoughts.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:28 PM

not sure why I didn't see this earlier, but I am out.