Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Probably an easy fold 100/200 Stud Hi

Same game but a lot later in the night, I believe 5 handed. Villain seems pretty bad in the loose department but he's pretty aggro in the kinds of spots you'd expect someone bad to be aggro on 3rd/4th especially. I haven't been involved in any significant pots with him. I haven't shown down anything super weird while he's been at the table and despite his badness I'm pretty sure he is aware that I am tight. $20 ante/20 BI.

Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] between me and the 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BI. I believe one or two dead diamonds, I unfortunately do not remember the rank. Upcards that folded before me were obviously all 8+. There was a dead 8 and a couple 9-J. No more than one dead club.

So 5 folds to me with (7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I complete, Qs folds, 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] BI calls

4th: I catch 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] he catches 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and he calls

5th: I catch 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] he catches 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he check/calls

6th: I catch T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] he catches 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and I think a while before calling his bet which I find mildly suspicious

7th: Boards are:
Him: (XX)8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Me: (7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img])K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets, I see that I have not improved and I think for longer than I normally do in a limit game because I just can't see how he could ever have a flush or a straight or a 5 or two pair before the river and I'm not sure he'd value bet if he rivered two pair anyway.

Unfortunately once I spend my 15 seconds to think I realize that I still have to decide what to do? Is a call throwing money away or is this my chance to be a rock star?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Probably an easy fold 100/200 Stud Hi

I'm trying to think of a hand that villain could have that you beat on Sixth, and with which he would put in all that money. All I come up with is (97)8 with a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. And he could still get there with that hand.

As for his bet on Six, either he has a big hand or value with a pair+draw. Your board looks pretty random/crappy and he may have a blocker or two for your two-pair hands. Once he's taken the betting lead, if he has something like a small two-pair, his bet on the river is pro-forma. If he has a straight or better he'd want two pair to grudgingly call a bet rather than risk trying for a check-raise.

I'd need to smell fish pretty strongly to call Sixth and then the river, but your call on Six suggests exactly that, and If you were good on Six, you're good on the river most of the time. That's if.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 AM

I suspect that you were drawing dead on sixth. In any case, I don't think you can do anything but fold on the river.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 AM

BTW, was this 5-handed or 8?
Old 10-09-2007, 02:27 AM

5 handed as I recall it, maybe 6. The point is that the game was not full. Unfortunately remembering Stud hands to post is really tough.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:29 AM

OK, because you do say that an 8 brings it in, and then there are 5 folds to you with a Q yet to act.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:31 AM

Yeah, this is a simple case of me being retarded.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:45 AM

Is it terrible to call for information?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Do you think that this information plus the bluff-catching equity that you have add up to $200?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:23 PM

I imagine you're beat through something. I think you are either drawing dead or a small chance you're only drawing very thin. Most people with a big hand play it exactly the same and most people with a bluff or big draw would usually play it more agressive, especially being shorthanded.