Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Default PLO 100- Top pair, wrap, go with it?

No reads on villian, he just sat down. Is my line ok? I feel like I played this maybe too fast, what about a call of the flop c/r?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
HERO: $263.50
CO: $47.05
Button: $104.15
SB: $102.95
BB: $100

Pre-flop: (5 players) HERO is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $3.5</font>, 3 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($7.5, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">HERO bets $7.5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $30</font>, <font color="#cc0000">HERO raises to $105</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $66.5</font>.
Uncalled bets: $8.5 returned to HERO.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: PLO 100- Top pair, wrap, go with it?

That's not even a wrap is it? I thought a wrap would be if the board was 8,5,2, and you had the 6,7,8,9. This sort of flop would give you 3 extra outs.
It's pretty obvious BB has 222, or 555 here. I would probably call the extra $22.50 and see the turn, and push if your straight hits. Check/fold the turn if he bets.

I've probably got it all wrong, but hey, nobody has replied yet. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2007, 03:38 PM

hate your hand
donet even thinking to reraise with
call and fold
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 PM

one-sentence answer: the raise is by far the worst option, calling or folding is much better given stack sizes.

your opponent only has enough for a pot-sized turn bet so you lose much of the advantage of this disguised hand.

given these stacks it is a close decision whether to call or fold on the flop. if you are sure that he has a set then i'd probably fold. if there is a reasonable chance that he has something else in his range, then call.

you have 9 cards that will make you the nuts on the turn (3 sixes, 3 sevens, 3 eights) + a little extra equity from hitting one of your 2 nines. so your pot odds are 9/43 or 10/43 which is not enough. the implied odds are a bit better b/c you are getting his money no matter what if you hit, and you have some redraws and are cutting into his redraws, b/c any straight card gives you 2 pair.

however, if you blank off the turn, you are 78-22 dog and can't call a pot-sized bet b/c there is nothing behind.

bottom line -- this is an easy call if effective stacks are deep b/c you can make a lot of money with a hidden straight, especially if you improve to a boat on the river, he won't give you credit for that. with only enough behind for a potsized turn bet, it is a marginal call or a fold. either way, the flop raise is terrible. you are giving him 2:1 to call so he is not folding and you can't possibly be the favorite.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 PM

Shoving's not awful since it's possible that villain could have something like 3456 but in general, I don't like it with such a weak wrap. I'd need a read that villain was super-LAG and willing to get it in really light on this flop (i.e. with something as weak as TP+GS or MP+OESD) to consider that play. Against a typical opponent, your best move is just to call in position, try to hit and fold if the turn doesn't improve you in some way.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not even a wrap is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

A wrap is usually defined as anything with more outs than an open ended straight draw. This is the "meat ball sandwich" of wraps.

Probably not a hand to go to war with because there's so little that you're in good shape against, even if there is little/nothing that has you totally screwed.

Usually, the only time I follow your line is when I'm tired and I make a misread thinking I've got the nut straight already.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM

lol meatball sandwich wrap
Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah OP, you are in a bad spot pushing here. I probably check behind flop a decent % of the time, but calling his RR isn't terrible either if he'll stack off when you hit your hand.

plz silent to be giving the definition of the meatball sandwich wrap. I just ate dinner and I'm hungry again.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM

check call flop
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 PM

the main problem with pushing this "wrap" is that your straight outs are the same as your 2-pair outs. so it can be better to just be just open-ended, like having KT98 on a 27T board: you only have 8 straight outs instead of 9, but you have 9 ways to make a good 2-pair hand that will often win in a race.

that said, you still have a 9-outer. let's not all pretend that there's something wrong with semi-bluffing only 9 outs. if there's a decent chance he is making a move or may fold for whatever reason, by all means raise. although usually at .50-1 people who check-raise will never fold for any amount, even heads-up.