Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 09:11 AM

Default Super/System 2 vs. the original

Hi everybody,
Just a quick question,
I just purchased Super/System 2 mainly for improving my NL holdem cash game play. Although I found the NL chapter and Mico Caro's chapter interessting, I was yet a little dissapointed.

Would there be any need for buying the first Super/System when looking for more NL holdem tips? Or are the chapters the same?
Anything else in Syper/System 1 that makes it better than the second one?

Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Super/System 2 vs. the original

The NL Hold-em Chapters are the same.

However, SS1 has a long statistics section that was unfortunately omitted from SS2. Many of the statistics are now common knowledge, and they can all be determined using a simple simulator, but they were revolutionary when the book first came out. I wish they had included a similar section covering Omaha and Triple Draw in SS2.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:23 AM

NL hold'em is identical

SS1 consists mostly of games not being played anymore ... so the only thing you miss out on is the chip reese chapter on stud.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 AM

One evening I went to the bookstore and grabbed a copy of SS1 and SS2 and turned the NL pages one at a time together, it is sickening how much work went into making 2 look different than 1, while at the same time saying the EXACT same thing. I even explained it to my wife as the equivalent to when we were in school and had to do a country report in Soc. Studies and you would get an encyclopedia(*) and rewrite EXACTLY what the book said except you would get tricky and change "the" to "a" and "many" to "alot" etc. I actually looked a little different at Doyle after discovering this for myself, and if you think I am exageratting I challenge you to go to the book store yourself. Now the other chapters in SS2 by the other authors are NEW about more relevant games today compared to the chapters in SS1, but Doyle could have contributed something new. Its kind of like getting todays sports page, and the middle three pages are the same stories from a week ago, if you read it last week nothing new, if you missed it last week its good stuff if you are a sports fan, but did you buy todays paper to read last Wednesday's news?

(*)Encyclopedias were a volume of books that were arranged alphabetically and contained a plethora of information before the internet, for you .com wiz kids out there. And if your parents were really cool they would buy a two or three year old set from a library book sale so you had a set at home and you could cheat on your reports at the last second providing for some EPIC procrastination.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 PM

yea i own SS1 and was really looking forward to reading ss2 so i bought it and other than mike caro's section it is all the same. really dumb to even release a new book
Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 PM

SS2 is generally better nowadays.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 AM

SS1 had a general poker chapter in the beginning of the book that i found to be of great value and this was omitted from ss2.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks everybody. I guess I have no need for buying the original then, and can invest my money in something else.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:05 PM

Yeah I bought SS2 then realised it is availble to read for free on his website LOOOOOL.
Gutted [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-27-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I bought SS2 then realised it is availble to read for free on his website LOOOOOL.
Gutted [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT? NOOOOOO.

Oh well, it's nice to have it in real paper so I don't destroy my eyes with gamma and whatnot.