Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 11:19 AM

Default MGM Grand to start using \"All-in/Call\" cards. . .

Playin' at the M tonight (Vegas. . .with the bigass lion)and a dealer mentioned that starting 4 Septembre the poker room would start using "All-in/Call" cards.

The way it works is pretty simple; a player goes "all in" and the dealer slaps down a card (presumably housed in the well) that says "all in" in front of that player. If another player calls the all in, the dealer slaps down another card that says "call" in front of that player (the cards are double sided. . .one "all in", one "call".

I've considered this system for a few hours now. I had never heard of such a thing prior to tonight.

Anybody have any experience with this?

What are ya'lls thoughts pros and cons on such a system?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:26 AM

Default Re: MGM Grand to start using \"All-in/Call\" cards. . .

I've never heard of something like this before. I guess the idea is to (1) avoid confusion about who's actually made/called an all-in bet and (2) prove to the cameras that a player went all-in, so he can't later claim he never bet and try to retain his chips? Sounds like it might avoid some problems.

While I've read many horror stories on here about all-ins gone wrong, I've never seen one live at a table, so I'm not sure the problem is so prevalent that it requires a new practice like this. To be fair, though, I've probably only racked up 100 lifetime hours of live NL, well behind most on this board.

Is this the MGM Grand in LV or Detroit?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Sounds like this would be something that would make it easier for:

a) the person going all in not having to push out every last chip if he happens to have a good sized stack

b) others at the table to know who is all in and who is calling without having to figure out how many callers, etc.

The reasoning above (for the camera proof) sounds like a good reason since most people who go all in with alot generally don't push everything out there until it comes time to having to make a count, make sidepots, etc.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:05 PM

I know one of the knocks on the MGM room is that it is too noisey (with the bar dancing next door) and although I've never experienced a problem with play, it can be difficult to hear at certain times.

Perhaps that, along with the camera thing made it worth trying?
Old 09-01-2007, 12:12 PM

It makes sense. Given the other posts on here about misinterpreted verbal declarations, it makes me wonder: What if the dealer misinterprets an action and slaps down an card that the player thinks inappropriate? Common sense would indicate that a player who straightens out the error within about five seconds, and without any later action, should probably have that opportunity.

Actually I first thought you meant something like these cards used in bridge tournaments to avoid partners communicating through intonation. Of course in poker your opponents are supposed to infer whatever they wish from your intonation, and you're trying to avoid revealing much.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:40 PM

I've dealt tournaments with these cards. There's absolutely no downside to having them.

One of the benefits is the player who wants to move in, no longer mutters something unintelligible or makes vague hand signals. If he isn't given his all-in sign immediately, he knows that the dealer didn't hear/understand him, and he makes his position clear before the action moves past him.

The joint where I work uses these things for tourneys (we have "all-in", we don't have one that says "call"). We currently don't use them in cash games, but you don't see nearly as many all-in's in the cash games, so it's not as big a deal.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Sounds like a PITA to me.

What about this situation.layer A bets $200 he has much more so he doesn't get a card.

Player B only has $150 and calls. Does he get a card? does it say all-in or call? Player C calls and still has money?

Who if anyone has cards what do they say?

What is to be gained by this system?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:01 PM

I still think it would be better if people just had to push all their chips that they want to wager over the betting line.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've dealt tournaments with these cards. There's absolutely no downside to having them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm kind of surprised to hear this. I have no experience with them but it seems like a lot of extra motions to fix something that's almost never a problem in the first place. And it could potentially be more confusing, like Psandman said.

I mean, YTF, how many times have you had to call the floor over because things got out of hand over a players allin not being clear. I'm guessing very rarely, if ever.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think it would be better if people just had to push all their chips that they want to wager over the betting line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a huge fan of this requirement when you consider that in some games a player may have a very large number of chips to move over the line for an all in bet and it is a waste of time and work if the other player just folds.