Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Possibly played wrong on every street (10/20 limit)

I'm so bad at this game.

PokerStars 10/20 Omaha/8 (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (6 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, MP3 calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (22 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>,

Questions:

- is suited ace and [censored] wheel worth playing here preflop?

- on the flop i was looking to c-r a late position bet to get weak str8 draws out; if it checked through or was definitely multiway, keep it cheap and hope for a good turn. good/bad?

- turn, calling one bet seems trivial, calling two/probably three when it gets back?

- river, what's the best way to get multiple bets?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Possibly played wrong on every street (10/20 limit)

Couple more questions:

- Does having a live ace for low mean anything (probably only on a 3 river?)

- on this board should I be expecting a multi-bet/capped turn fairly often when making the initial turn call? If so, is the first call wrong?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 PM

preflop is good.

in ring game, tighten up post flop. flop and turn is backwards.

river is fine because nut lows may still jam since the pot's 4 way.

you played your hand face up IMO.

your live ace for low is worth nothing.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM

I think you played the hand well. The preflop call out of the big blind is certainly OK and checking this flop is fine, too. I don't like the idea to check raise a late position bettor though and would simply call one bet but not two. To get some additional money in the pot simply betting the river is the best you can do. To me it looks like two opponents are holding A3. Those might well check it through.

The most interesting situation occured when you called those 2 bets on the turn. The pot contains 15 big bets then and you play for 7.5 of these, though sometimes you'll get at least a fraction of the low when the river brings a 3. The good thing is that you'll never have to chop the high. You have 8 clean outs for nut flush and quads. The correctness of your call depends on how often your boat will win when the board pairs. I guess that it will be good more often than not and would count these outs as 5. So you have 13/44 and that's enough to call.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:59 AM

Calling the extra bet out of the bb with a suited Ace+ wheel draw is certainly an acceptable play.

With that said, I HATE this flop for you!

Of course, it did get checked around, and I'd be curious to know what your plan would have been had there been a bet, but these are the kind of flops that seem to trap a lot of O8 players from my experience.

Flopping middle set on a 2-flush board when the low has already been made, is an awful, awful place to be.

And although you may have picked up additional outs on the turn, the LOW is there, the straight is there, players are betting and raising and now you have to call 2 cold bets more??? I'm not crazy about calling the first bet (although it's not the end of the world) but I wouldn't have called the additional bets.

On the river, it could go either way, and someone is probably going to bet this, but leading out is probably what I would do just to make sure that I can count on getting the value out of the flush draw that I paid for. It also gives you a chance to make it 3 bets if someone decides to raise a nut/2nd nut combo type hand.

Having a live Ace might be good enough, but with 6 players seeing the river, I wouldn't put too much stock in it and it wouldn't be enough to get me to call 3 bets on the turn just to find out. Your position in this hand is another factor to consider and IF the decision was close (call or fold) well this just made my mind up that a fold may be better. Just my thoughts.