Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 01:02 AM

Default blinded out of a home tourney?

I was recently running late to attend a home tourney. It was supposed to start roughly around 7ish, but there was actually no "set" time that the tournament was going to start. A couple of my buddies were calling telling me to hurry up and get there or else they were just gonna blind me out until i got there. Keep in mind they were still waiting on another person to still show up. I told them that I was still a ways away, and hoping they would wait. Both my buddies were telling me were to hurry up. There was nothing I could do, and I didnt think it was right to rake someones blinds in a tournament that had no set time. I was also hoping that my buddies would tell the tournament host that he shouldnt blind someone out for being a little late, when others probably werent on time either. However, they said nothing, only thing they said to me was sorry, not my tourney. No help at all. Even though I would have only missed a few rounds, I still didnt feel it was right or fair to me so I thought it would be in my best interest to not attend. Basically the question Im asking is this: Is it right to rake someones blinds knowing that there was no official start date to the tourney?"

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: blinded out of a home tourney?

Had you bought in the day before or something? In a home game with buddies, why not just refund your buy-in if you can't make it in time? Something's missing here.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:22 AM

"Is it right to rake someones blinds knowing that there was no official start date to the tourney?"

No. It isn't. Uhh, it also isn't right to not have a start time. Adurrrrrrrr. But, you didn't give them money, so what's the big deal? What do you expect them to do? Sit and wait for everyone to show up?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 AM

The start time should have been more clearly communicated. But, given the information you provided, had you showed up by 7:00, I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue, so you were late.

You were informed that that the tournament was starting and that blinds were going to be taken.

Had you played a tournament at this place before? Have you seen this type of rule before?

What's a little late in your opinion? By rounds to you mean blind levels or just rotations around the table? If you get a few blinds taken out of your stack in the first round, does it really matter?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM

stop your crying...
They dont wait for anyone, look at all the pros that show up late..
You had an idea of the star time, if you couldnt make around that time, then you shouldnt agree to play....

When they are ready to start, they start, in a tournament you cant skip the rotation of the deal because someone is not seating in a seat, tournaments and cash games are differnt for a deal rotation.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Yeah this is completely standard and you're making a big deal out of nothing. I'm pretty sure you knew when the established time was and you were admittedly running late. The host was just doing his job to keep his other guests happy, live with it.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 PM

So when should it have started? When everyone they thought might want to play finally showed up. What if you were delayed another hour, or decided not to show at all and nevr called to let them know. Guess they'd still be waiting, huh.

Tourney had an estimated start time, "around 7'ish" this might be 7:05 or 7:30 but it's going to start once almost everyone is present. After that the tournament director (Host) has 2 choices, assuming you didn't pay in advance. Put your chips out so your blinds get posted thereby ensuring you have a seat when you do show. Or not and then tell you sorry, you can't play because you were late.

I see nothing wrong with what happened.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and I didnt think it was right to rake someones blinds in a tournament that had no set time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it right to rake someones blinds knowing that there was no official start date to the tourney?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The loss of chips won't be bad for a couple of rounds, unless you started out with 50x or less. Consider it free practice at being a short stack... or think of it as "My Aces got sucked out on by 83o, but I only lost 15% of my stack"
Old 07-11-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though I would have only missed a few rounds, I still didnt feel it was right or fair to me so I thought it would be in my best interest to not attend.

[/ QUOTE ]

First question would be what are the starting stacks? Second question is what are the blinds? In most cases I'd say it would be no deal to lose a couple rounds of blinds.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 AM

Running a home tournament is a lot of work, and if the host is also playing, dealing with late arrivals is the most annoying aspect of all.

Stop yer bitchin'. Show respect for the host.