Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 09:05 PM

Default 5+0.50 PS MTT-AA what now?

Hero is UTG+1, Villain MP2
PokerStars Game #4914566672: Tournament #24600727, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50)Seat 1:
Seat 4: Hero (1680 in chips)
Seat 6: rocketman97 (4340 in chips)

wobin813: posts small blind 25
sikem: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [As Ah]
Hero: raises 200 to 250
Villain: calls 250
everybody else folds

*** FLOP *** [Kc 5c Qc]
Hero: bets 350
rocketman97: calls 350
*** TURN *** [Kc 5c Qc] [9h]

Where do we think we are at ?
What hand would jsut call preflop A club + x ?

What am I supposed to do now?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: 5+0.50 PS MTT-AA what now?

Push.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:11 PM

what you think he has A of clubs?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what you think he has A of clubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to put villian on a range of hands here, not 1 card. You are +EV against most ranges here. Also, 2 suited hole cards make a flush only ~6% of the time . . .

As Steve said, PUSH
Old 05-12-2006, 09:52 PM

Can you repost this using a hand converter? I can't even tell what position you are in preflop, etc. Why did you raise 5xBB pf? That's a good way to kill your action.

Also, you have to push because the stacks aren't deep enough for you to do anything else. The cold hard truth of online MTTs is that with very shallow stacks, sometimes there is no way to prevent yourself from going broke when you are beat. This is one of those situations; assume you have the best hand until your opponent does something to convince you otherwise.

If you pushed and he had you beat, tough break. If you pushed and he outdrew you, tough beat. There isn't really any other course of action here. Can you really put him on a flopped flush or maybe the turned straight (JT) with the little information we have now? If you check, are you really going to fold to a bet? He could have a number of holdings including Kx or x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] .
Old 05-12-2006, 10:44 PM

Totally agree with the advice you've already received. I had almost the exact same situation earlier today and I pushed.

I would especially highlight what Steve said about your preflop raise. You have the nuts at this point. Why do you want to bet 5x the BB? Drop the preflop raise down a bit, so you can still get some action.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 PM

is this a real post ? WTF is your problem here. Grow a set of balls and push your stack already...you waiting for the second coming of Jesus or something ? My God what a ridiculous post.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:12 PM

The reason I raised 5xBB is because with pocket AA, I want exactly 1 caller. (not 2 or 3) Low buyin- so I figured someone will call or someone who figured I was weak to raise so much would make a play (maybe)
Old 05-12-2006, 11:26 PM

Without reading other responses, it looks like a Mid Pair with one club. Two choices: push hard now (oversized bet), or slow down and try to keep the pot small without giving him the chance to push you off the hand. To do that, make the same size bet as the flop, or slightly larger: find the point where it isn't weak enough that he automatically reraises you, but that you are not commtting too many chips, maybe about 500. Pay off a reasonable bet on the river.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without reading other responses, it looks like a Mid Pair with one club. Two choices: push hard now (oversized bet), or slow down and try to keep the pot small without giving him the chance to push you off the hand. To do that, make the same size bet as the flop, or slightly larger: find the point where it isn't weak enough that he automatically reraises you, but that you are not commtting too many chips, maybe about 500. Pay off a reasonable bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, if he bets 500 on the turn he only has 580 chips left...hard to imagine a bet to call on the river that's not all in...and also hard to imagine not calling an all-in on the river getting something ridiculous like 5-1 or w/e it would be. Only play here is to push, just don't have enough chips to do anything else at this point with the pot being bigger than our stack.