Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Don\'t stack-a-donk the good players, guys

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, you make a decent point overall that I basically agree with. But versus specifically KT diamonds, it's not at all clear that check-call is better than check-push. There's a lot of money in the pot, 11 outs is a lot of outs that you need to bluff an awful lot of rivers to make up for. Plus, results-oriented irony, he'd feel pretty foolish check-calling your river 'bluff' on the river that actually hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villain can't fold to a big bet on a diamond river, then, yeah, check-calling is probably bad and he should just buy the pot now. It's very hard for me to imagine that I am ever betting a worse made hand on a river diamond, so all he beats is a bluff.

On a blank river, however, I could be betting a busted draw.

CATerp,

Yes, I bet 1/2 pot when I float. I might mix it up a *little* bit in an 80/20 mix (both ways), but certainly not enough for anyone to say whether I am floating or value betting based on the size of my bet. Of course, the board (note, I mean the board itself, not my hand in relation to the board) changes things. On paired boards like this, there are very few made hands that I could hold where I would be worried about pricing out the flush draw. On a 9862 board with a flush draw, I could easily be 3/4-potting it with a set because of the drawy nature of the board, and in that case I would of course also 3/4-pot it if I was floating. Of course, I would very often raise the flop with a set there, but not ALWAYS, precisely because I am mixing it up.

I agree that TAGs who always bet 1/2 pot here with monsters and 3/4 pot+ with floats rule are being idiotic.