Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Official NE Patriots gogogogo to the SB thread

[ QUOTE ]
of course no one thought moss could get 10MM/yr before the season. except randy moss, and that's what matters. you think he didn't know he was still a beast? really? you think he didn't know he could put up ridiculous numbers for this team?

look at what guys like harrison, wayne, and ocho cinco made last year. now consider that the salary cap continues to rise and that moss is as good as, if not better than, each of those guys. then tell me again that you expect him to sign for 4 years at 4-6 million per.

do you seriously think the patriots will franchise moss? and risk pissing off a guy who has been known to turn his back on teams, who also happens to be the most freakishly talented WR on the planet earth?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ep,
Stop making me agree with NT! They don't make water hot enough to wash off this feeling.

Cody
Old 11-21-2007, 02:48 AM

Moss has been a injury prone WR for years.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 AM

Can we put a cap on how many posts someone can quotes at once? Jesus, this thread is barely [censored] readable.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Moss has been a injury prone WR for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

although i think a decent chunk of those were injuries to his motivation tbh
Old 11-21-2007, 08:48 AM

The Patriots got Moss for a 4th round pick which means there was no market for this guy. He already got all of his guaranteed money from Oakland and Oakland was not going to pay him the salary he was due, they would have cut him if they couldn't get anything for him.

The Patriots made their trade contingent on Moss restructuring his contract down. He had no choice but to do it, there was no market for him. He probably looked at it like I'll go to the Patriots who have a good QB and put up some decent numbers and then cash in next year.

Now, the whole experience has probably exceeded his expectations 100 fold. So will this translate into a big hometown discount for the Patriots. We'll see. But I think if the Patriots are really unfair with him and try to low ball him he'll walk.

Best case for the Patriots is to offer him a reasonable deal. If he balks and wants mega dollars, then franchise him.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Patriots made their trade contingent on Moss restructuring his contract down. He had no choice but to do it, there was no market for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there was no market for him at his 10-11/million a year salary. NE was the only team that Moss was willing to restructure his contract, forcing the Raiders to trade to get anything for him. If his salary was around 5-7 million a whole mess of teams would line up.

Moss actually has an old man type lifestyle with fishing and watching Forensic Files as his biggest hobbies. Money, while still important, does not drive him as much relative to other NFL players. He played out most of his rookie contract, which was ridiculously low considering his output. As long as the pats do not offer him disrespectfully low amount, he should resign with the Pats. 7-8 million/year sounds right.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:39 PM

according to Miguels Cap page, the Pats are $11m under the 2008 cap with 42 players signed.

however, this is including a $6.8m option for Stallworth which I highly doubt the Pats will pick up, and if Chad Jackson shows anything this year the odds go to 0%. he is $5m cheaper, and you don't need 6 WR's on the roster

so I think $8m for Moss is reasonable and doable for everyones perspective, but there is more than a small chance Moss just says [censored] it and takes ginormous deal somewhere else, if the Pats dont decide to franchise him. my money is on him staying though.

he is making $5m now, and the franchise figure would be $8m.

other key FA's to sign would be Bruschi and Seau, though both those guys will be relatively short money. Eugene Wilson won't be givena big money deal with James Sanders playing well and costing $600k. the big one is Asante, and he is very likely to leave.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:06 PM

i have a question about matt cassell, so this seemed like the most appropriate place to post it.

how bad is he?

i just read that he hasn't started as a QB since high school. i'm assuming he's worse than the worst starting QB in the NFL, but how much worse?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a question about matt cassell, so this seemed like the most appropriate place to post it.

how bad is he?

i just read that he hasn't started as a QB since high school. i'm assuming he's worse than the worst starting QB in the NFL, but how much worse?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pretty hard to tell since he's thrown 39 career passes. Every time he comes in, he hands it off 90% of the time. He may very well be worse than the worst starting QB in the league, but I wouldn't assume it. He's just extremely inexperienced.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

how bad is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

really hard to tell - the QB's who started in front of him in college were Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, 2 Heisman Trophy winners.

basically the only people who really know are his current/former coaches at USC and New England