Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Video Card Recommendations

I'm in the process of picking out and customizing a Dell Inspiron 530 (almost 40% through my work discount), and need help on the video card.

My basic requirements for the video card is that it can run 2 22-24" monitors to play poker on (plus run Pokertracker and PAHUD simultaneously), surf the net, watch an occasional movie, but no real game play besides that.

My current config on the system is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33 GHz, 1333 FSB, 4MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 4 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRam at 800 MHz-4 DIMMS
Monitors: 1 22 inch Samsung 2220WM Widescreen Analog LCD
(Second is TBD, but won't be bigger than a 24")
Hard Drive: 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

My choices on a video card are:

128 MB Nvidia GeForce 8300GS
128 MB ATI HD 2400 (?)

I have a suspicion that these two cards will be woefully inadequate. I have a call in to the rep to see if they can put a different card in, outside of the options they have on the website. What card should I be asking for?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Video Card Recommendations

Why do you think those will be woefully inadequate? You basically just need any card that has 2 plugs for your monitors. How many plugs do those cards have? You really don't need a high end gfx card for poker, web, and movies.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:33 AM

I'm worried about the 128 MB of memory and have heard that these are both bottom of the line cards. I've also looked online and can't find a spec that says how many outputs they have. Lastly in the FAQ section of this board, these are listed as recommended cards. There are a lot of cards listed in the FAQ section and don't want to get one thats overkill either.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:07 PM

yes, both are basic and will not run games very well. You can skip the dell upgrade and buy an 8600GT or GTS on Newegg or www.outpost.com for 100-150 that will better better for playing games. If you aren't going the Vista route you can get a 7600 series card for less money that will be pretty good for DX9 games. I have a 7600GS in my E6700 machine that runs Battlefield two at full res, I havent tried maxing out all setting yet but it looks good and the GT is even better.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to play poker on (plus run Pokertracker and PAHUD simultaneously), surf the net, watch an occasional movie, but no real game play

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes, both are basic and will not run games very well

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy an 8600GT or GTS on Newegg or www.outpost.com for 100-150 that will better better for playing games.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you can get a 7600 series card for less money that will be pretty good for DX9 games

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, both are basic and will not run games very well. You can skip the dell upgrade and buy an 8600GT or GTS on Newegg or www.outpost.com for 100-150 that will better better for playing games. If you aren't going the Vista route you can get a 7600 series card for less money that will be pretty good for DX9 games. I have a 7600GS in my E6700 machine that runs Battlefield two at full res, I havent tried maxing out all setting yet but it looks good and the GT is even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spoke to the Dell rep on the phone and they will upgrade the card for $100 to a 256K Nvidia 8600GT SDDR-3 Card. Are all 8600GT's the same memory, and/or is this enough memory for the card (paired with 4Gig of RAM)?

The $100 he mentioned for the upgrade seems to make this a wash versus upgrading once I get the machine, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 PM

I agree with you that they will be fine what he says he wants. But if he decides to play some games he may want more.

Did you have any other problems with what I posted?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to play poker on (plus run Pokertracker and PAHUD simultaneously), surf the net, watch an occasional movie, but no real game play

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes, both are basic and will not run games very well

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy an 8600GT or GTS on Newegg or www.outpost.com for 100-150 that will better better for playing games.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you can get a 7600 series card for less money that will be pretty good for DX9 games

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Are you going for Vista or not?

If not then you really just need a card w/two heads and the capability to run the resolutions you want. Everything after that is useless to you (generally speaking the rest is 3D acceleration and memory). Aero is heavier on the graphics cards, I think memory in particular.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:55 PM

If u arent playing games just get the cheapest card that supports dual monitors.

Seriously, getting a high end graphics card and not using it is pretty pointless.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If u arent playing games just get the cheapest card that supports dual monitors.

Seriously, getting a high end graphics card and not using it is pretty pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this.

on the p4 machine i used until very recently as my main poker machine, i had a nvidia ti4200 graphics card.

it does everything you request just fine.