Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Searching PT for All-in hands

Over the past 5 days, I think I've taken more beats all-in than in my previous 750 at the 55s. I can't seem to win when I'm all-in, and when you play tight early and pushbot late, if you can't win an all-in...

So, I would like to look up hands where either I or my opponent go all-in preflop and try to figure out just how bad has my luck been? Does anyone know of an easy way to pinpoint hands that I'm involved in where someone is all-in preflop?

I'm fluent in SQL and have Access so I can write queries against the database easily. I'll go look for myself, but thought if someone could save me some time, why not ask.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Searching PT for All-in hands

better idea. keep a microsoft word document open while you play. any questionable move you make, post on the forum.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
better idea. keep a microsoft word document open while you play. any questionable move you make, post on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point. I already post hands in the forum. I also review my pushes in SnGPT. I can see if I am making good or bad pushes. But, that doesn't tell me how lucky or unlucky I am when I make those good pushes and get called. If I lose 3 all-ins in a row when I push and get called as a 4-1 favorite, there's nothing to post but bad beat stories.

I'm looking for a way to quantify how lucky/unlucky I have been when pushing or calling all-in preflop as obviously this is key to winning SnGs. I don't currently have a way to do the hand evaluations other than manually in Pokerstove or other software. This might be something others would want as well. Sort of a "luckbox-o-meter". It might help people quantify whether their 75% ROI is because of luck or skill when they have less than the 8 bajillion games they need to have a reasonable confidence interval.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:07 PM

I'm not sure how useful it is going to be unless you also evaluate the starting hands you're dealt compared to your opponents. I mean say three SNGs in a row you get AA versus their KK, and you get sucked out on every time. The numbers are going to say you got a lot more unlucky than you did.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure how useful it is going to be unless you also evaluate the starting hands you're dealt compared to your opponents. I mean say three SNGs in a row you get AA versus their KK, and you get sucked out on every time. The numbers are going to say you got a lot more unlucky than you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

My plan at first is just to produce a list of all the hands where I or my opponent get all-in with my hand and his hand and then run it manually and mark each as lucky unlucky or standard.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:39 AM

I tried doing this a couple of months ago, but quickly realized there are too many other factors deciding if you are lucky/unlucky that it would produce useless results.

Say you push your K8o from the button and the BB is dealt KK. According to such a "luckbox-o-meter" you would not appear very unlucky when you lose, but the fact that the BB was dealt KK was unlucky.

When I run bad I think its as much running into good hands more than expected than just not winning my fair share of all-ins.

Anyways, every time I try to document my amazingly bad luck by something like this my luck suddenly changes, so it might be time well spent [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Running into big hands is one thing. If I run into a big hand and lose, well I was behind to begin with. When I lose 4 80% favorites in a night I get frustrated. When that starts to happen so much I expect to lose when I see my AA vs. his 99...

I started looking at the db in Access last night. I whipped up a query to find all cases where I'm all-in preflop and display my cards. Now I just have to join that to who I was up against as get his cards. I'd also like to be able to see where I had opponent outchipped so all my chips weren't in the middle (or possible also where I called all-in, not sure if the db records that as a bet or not).

I'm a c# guy myself so I may try to put it into a little .net app to choose a player, find the data and display results. If I could find a hand evaluator that I could link in that would be sweeeeeet as I could actually compute chances to win and then look at actual win rate. Unfortunately, the c-based hand evaluator library I've seen is pretty ugly...but if someone has it or another hand evaluator and the knowhow to link it into a .net assembly let me know. (A native .net one would, of course, be usable as well and preferable.)
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM

It looks like I'm winning my all ins too often and need to loosen up wouldn't you think?

Edit - actually I didn't parse out when I get called so this would include successful blind steals too I guess.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:57 PM

Bradley, what are you using to get that?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:57 AM

When I saw this thread I couldn't get a query to work in Access so I wrote a quick program to do it for me.

However it won't work for anyone else because it has my database imported into the project.

However, maybe one of the other programmers on here can take this code and make a distributable app (like adding a file dialog browse box, asking for player name or ID, etc.

The main form is just a gridview, two labels and a datasource (my pt database).

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

Imports System.Data
Public Class Form1
Dim bindDT As New Data.DataTable

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load, MyBase.Load
Dim wonCount As Integer = 0
Dim lostCount As Integer = 0
bindDT = MakeNamesTable()

Me.Tourney_game_playersTableAdapter.Fill(Me.Ptrack 6DataSet1.tourney_game_players)
Dim myDT As New Data.DataTable

myDT = Me.Tourney_game_playersTableAdapter.GetData
For x As Integer = 0 To myDT.Rows.Count - 1
If myDT.Rows(x).Item("player_id").ToString = "161" Then
If myDT.Rows(x).Item("pre_flop_bet").ToString = myDT.Rows(x).Item("chip_count").ToString Then
Dim myRow As Data.DataRow
myRow = bindDT.NewRow()
myRow("My Hand") = myDT.Rows(x).Item("Hole_Card_1").ToString &amp; " " &amp; myDT.Rows(x).Item("Hole_Card_2").ToString
myRow("Bet Size") = myDT.Rows(x).Item("chip_count").ToString
If myDT.Rows(x).Item("Won_Hand").ToString = "1" Then
myRow("Won") = "Y"
wonCount += 1
Else
myRow("Won") = "N"
lostCount += 1
End If
myRow("Blind") = Replace(myDT.Rows(x).Item("blind_amt").ToString, "0.0000", "-")
bindDT.Rows.Add(myRow)
End If
End If

Next
DataGridView1.DataSource = bindDT
WonCountLabel.Text = CStr(wonCount)
LostCountLabel.Text = CStr(lostCount)
End Sub

Private Function MakeNamesTable() As DataTable
' Create a new DataTable titled 'Names.'
Dim namesTable As DataTable = New DataTable("All_In")
' Add three column objects to the table.
Dim card1 As DataColumn = New DataColumn()
card1.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String")
card1.ColumnName = "My Hand"
namesTable.Columns.Add(card1)
Dim card2 As DataColumn = New DataColumn()
card2.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String")
card2.ColumnName = "Bet Size"
namesTable.Columns.Add(card2)
Dim Blind As DataColumn = New DataColumn()
Blind.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String")
Blind.ColumnName = "Blind"
namesTable.Columns.Add(Blind)
Dim Bet As DataColumn = New DataColumn()
Bet.DataType = System.Type.GetType("System.String")
Bet.ColumnName = "Won"
namesTable.Columns.Add(Bet)
' Return the new DataTable.
MakeNamesTable = namesTable
End Function

End Class

</pre><hr />