Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Re: To Theists: An Interesting Agreement ...

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love

[/ QUOTE ]
While the principle teachings of Jesus are based on love and other good ideals the people who established the Christian empire did it by running the streets red with the blood of those who opposed their theology. Just like every other empire.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ founded His empire upon love

[/ QUOTE ]
While the principle teachings of Jesus are based on love and other good ideals the people who established the Christian empire did it by running the streets red with the blood of those who opposed their theology. Just like every other empire.

[/ QUOTE ]

This certainly doesn't refute any theist assertion. Just confirms the divide between the mortal and the divine.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM

bunny, you seem to be mixing up and misinterpreting the significance of the link I posted...the link is from an early 19th Century legal authority who is speaking in very old fashioned English about how the evidence of the 4 Gospels would be interpreted and considered in a court of law in his day...since he was a recognized authority on legal evidence and wrote a treatise on it maybe he knows a thing or two about evidence/testimony that the average layman would not know....He essentially is expressing his evaluation (legal opinion) of the testimony of the 4 Disciples who rendered the 4 Gospels....

I can't and won't do the work for all of you...I'm only indicating some sources to consider...Trying to help widen your lens...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since he was a recognized authority on legal evidence and wrote a treatise on it maybe he knows a thing or two about evidence/testimony that the average layman would not know....He essentially is expressing his evaluation (legal opinion) of the testimony of the 4 Disciples who rendered the 4 Gospels....

I can't and won't do the work for all of you...I'm only indicating some sources to consider...Trying to help widen your lens...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If you consider the basis for the general theistic search , that would be the required mindset. "X said ..."
The appeal to Authority is a fundamental.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least I got something interesting after following all this religious stuff here. I didn't realize that the appeal to authorities is so important for the Christian mind-set.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM

The appeal to authority is not limited to Christians...it is a universal mindset....That ought to be obvious to anybody that thinks about it for a while...I don't know of any discipline: medicine, law, history, science that doesn't have its authorities...

Here's a definition:
authority
One entry found for authority.

Main Entry: au·thor·i·ty
Pronunciation: &-'thär-&-tE, o-, -'thor-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ties
Etymology: Middle English auctorite, from Anglo-French auctorité, from Latin auctoritat-, auctoritas opinion, decision, power, from auctor
1 a (1) : a citation (as from a book or file) used in defense or support (2) : the source from which the citation is drawn b (1) : a conclusive statement or set of statements (as an official decision of a court) (2) : a decision taken as a precedent (3) : TESTIMONY c : an individual cited or appealed to as an expert
2 a : power to influence or command thought, opinion, or behavior b : freedom granted by one in authority : RIGHT
3 a : persons in command; specifically : GOVERNMENT b : a governmental agency or corporation to administer a revenue-producing public enterprise <the transit authority>
4 a : GROUNDS, WARRANT <had excellent authority for believing the claim> b : convincing force <lent authority to the performance>
synonym see INFLUENCE, POWER
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Are you high school? And this is a serious question.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:41 AM

No not high school...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No not high school...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. So Elementary school, then. Glad we cleared that up.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bunny, you seem to be mixing up and misinterpreting the significance of the link I posted...the link is from an early 19th Century legal authority who is speaking in very old fashioned English about how the evidence of the 4 Gospels would be interpreted and considered in a court of law in his day...since he was a recognized authority on legal evidence and wrote a treatise on it maybe he knows a thing or two about evidence/testimony that the average layman would not know....He essentially is expressing his evaluation (legal opinion) of the testimony of the 4 Disciples who rendered the 4 Gospels....

[/ QUOTE ]
Well thanks for the patronising explanation of my error. I will point out that your original thread wasnt to do with evaluating evidence. It was about "an interesting agreement between Napoleon Bonaparte and Simon Greenleaf, one of the principle founders of Harvard Law School, on the nature of Jesus Christ..." I've asked you a number of times any such agreement would be interesting, to which you eventually replied that I should read the link. So I did. It didnt explain why it was interesting and I still dont understand why anyone would think it was.

I also made a criticism of one argument in the link you posted which you didnt bother responding to - shall I write to the author?

You dont really understand why I post on SMP - I'm all for a wide sampling of views. I do expect people to provide some explanation of why they think as they do. What they think is not particularly interesting, no matter who they are.

I wont bother you any more with difficult questions - it must be very frustrating to watch me mix up and misinterpret the significance of all the links you post. Not quite sure how that leads to your policy of not explaining any of them and, when questioned, of merely suggesting I read them. Still, it's for my own good, hey?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The four disciples you speak of did not author the gospels. They were written by unknown authors successively beginning about AD 70.