FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Yes/No?
Yes 9 56.25%
No 2 12.50%
I'm an idiot for even asking 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Biggest Waste of Talent Poll:

All you guys who are so OMG Bias would have without a doubt been one of the greatest ever are nuts.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All you guys who are so OMG Bias would have without a doubt been one of the greatest ever are nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all you guys who are trying to downplay just how ridiculously talented he was, and how he coulda shown Jordan a thing or two are douchebags.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And all you guys who are trying to downplay just how ridiculously talented he was, and how he coulda shown Jordan a thing or two are douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, his senior season he averaged 23-6-1 with negligible steals and blocks. Durant averaged off the top of my head like 24-11-2-1.5-1.5 as a freaking freshman. As a freshman, Bias was riding pine.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:14 PM

Uh, what does Durant have to do with Bias? No one is saying Durant isn't going to be insanely awesome. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone expects it. I'm not really sure why you'd even bring this up.

I'm wondering why you have this obsession with insisting Bias was going to be just another player. You keep throwing out stats (which do tell part of the story), but have you read what so many people have had to say about him? We are talking about quotes from Bird, Coach K, and people who were NBA general managers at the time of that draft. Everyone has said he was a sure thing, can't miss NBA star. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

There have been plenty of players whose numbers weren't eye popping in college, but they became very good NBA players. Conversely, there have also been plenty of players who put up incredible numbers in college and then were busts in the NBA.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, his senior season he averaged 23-6-1 with negligible steals and blocks. Durant averaged off the top of my head like 24-11-2-1.5-1.5 as a freaking freshman. As a freshman, Bias was riding pine.

[/ QUOTE ]

talent is talent. I wont get into the differences in college hoops from then until now, but how can you sum him up with just one stat line? While he was still playing people were saying he was Michael Jordan+a jumper+2 1/2 inches, only not as good takin the ball to the rack. He was a ridiculous athlete and a ridiculous ballplayer who tossed his gifts away. Like the thread title says, he wasted his TALENT. But oh no, Clark isn't impressed with his stat line,therefore he must not have been dick. Forgive me if you repeating "23-6-1" doesn't sway my opinion.

Jordan "only" averaged 20 a game his final year at UNC, therefore Durant>Jordan? People have said time and time again that Bias was more of a project coming out of highschool and needed to develop,so I dont see why saying that he rode the pine his first year means anything.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, what does Durant have to do with Bias? No one is saying Durant isn't going to be insanely awesome. In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone expects it. I'm not really sure why you'd even bring this up.

I'm wondering why you have this obsession with insisting Bias was going to be just another player. You keep throwing out stats (which do tell part of the story), but have you read what so many people have had to say about him? We are talking about quotes from Bird, Coach K, and people who were NBA general managers at the time of that draft. Everyone has said he was a sure thing, can't miss NBA star. Why is that so hard for you to accept?

There have been plenty of players whose numbers weren't eye popping in college, but they became very good NBA players. Conversely, there have also been plenty of players who put up incredible numbers in college and then were busts in the NBA.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't about the most tragic loss of talent. This is biggest waste of talent. Bias as a huge nba recruit just doesn't stack up with guys like Doc Gooden and Ricky Williams who dominated on the pro level. I understand it's fun to talk what ifs but chances are bias wouldn't be as dominant as some of these other guys. I'm sure he could have been amazing but these other guys were no doubt amazing.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM

I can respect your stance, rubbrband. Your view of wasted talent is someone who accomplished something but pissed it away. I look at this topic as someone who didn't even begin to realize their potential because they pissed it away. Both are huge wastes of talent; at this point we are just arguing different views of the same issue.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:51 PM

I am really surprised Bo didn't get more votes.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a lifelong Celtics fan who was in high school in Nothern Virginia when Len Bias died. Believe me, it was tragic. BUT, as beloved as Bias was, he wasn't regarded as nearly a great a prospect as Joe Smith was ten years later (and the Lefty Driesell era at Maryland was bigger than the Gary Willaims era, despite the national championship). He might have been a great NBA player, he might have been average.

And by all accounts, it was ONE night of binging, not a habit that killed him. Similar to a fluke car accident or something. Really hard to call it "wasted" talent, at least by the definition this thread seems to be proposing.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't about the most tragic loss of talent. This is biggest waste of talent. Bias as a huge nba recruit just doesn't stack up with guys like Doc Gooden and Ricky Williams who dominated on the pro level.

[/ QUOTE ]

But Bias lost 100% of his career. Gooden and Williams didn't even lose half of their careers (Gooden still had 194 wins; Williams played 4 seasons before retiring and played after retiring).