Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Three bad hands from PLO8 MTT

Pokerstars $5, 90 players.

First Hand

I guess this is not how to play AA4J.
Is raising preflop correct? Should I bet the flop? Villain probably has a wide calling range before the flop.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Tournament
Blinds: t100/t200
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t3552
UTG+1: t3372
MP1: t1310
Hero: t5829
Button: t20114
SB: t7798
BB: t1865

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t300)</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t900</font>, 3 folds, UTG calls t700 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1400)</font>.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t2100, 2 players)
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t2100, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets t600</font>, Hero folds.
Uncalled bets: t600 returned to UTG.

Results:
Final pot: t2100

Second Hand

Last two tables, final table cashes. I'm 6th or so.
I lost half my stack on this one and ruined my good position. I raised all-in on turn, probably nonsense.
Should I fold the flop? call the turn? If I'm still A high on river and he bets big, should I fold?

Poker Stars
Blinds: t150/t300
8 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t4480
UTG+1: t16914
MP1: t9403
MP2: t3392
CO: t5627
Button: t245
SB: t19133
Hero: t8804

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, MP2 calls t300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t450)</font>, 2 folds, SB calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t750)</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t900, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t900</font>, Hero calls t900 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1800)</font>, MP2 folds.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t2700, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets t2700</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???</font>

Third Hand

12 players remain, I'm 12th and I have only half the chips of the player in 11th place.
Villain certainly has an Ace and some low cards, with AA being a possibility. Should I gamble here? (yes I did)

Poker Stars
Blinds: t300/t600
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t6260
UTG+1: t10347
CO: t9648
Button: t6298
SB: t32318
Hero: t3127

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t1648</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ???</font>
Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Three bad hands from PLO8 MTT

1. Fire the continuation bet. Get the chips in the middle and see what happens. If he sucked out so be it, you'll still have chips.

2. I don't think your play on the turn was wrong. The time to fold would be the flop, as a relatively uncoordinated board suggests the SB has the nut lo &amp; you are in for a quartering since you have squat for high. The pot is small, you are up against a giant stack. This is one of those rare times folding the nut lo seems in order.

3. This is a pretty good hand heads up. I think you made the right decision.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:28 AM

c bet the first one.. people are limping small cards more often than big ones.

With your stack I'd fold the 2nd one on the flop usually.. u have no really clean outs for a high.. a 9 or K may be good but you really have no idea.

I fold the last one.. I'd much rather have a hand where I can make a potential low and suck out for 1/2. You're 50/50 vs something like A28J rainbow and if he has AA you're crushed.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 AM

I think you have to continuation bet the first hand, even though the flop sucks for you. Odds are still very good that it was even worse for your opponent. Depending on reads I'd also be tempted to raise turn when someone bets 1/3 of the pot like this - could be someone value betting the nuts, but it feels weak to me. The problem of course is that with your pfr someone who has two pair is unlikely to believe that you have a straight.

Second hand ... I probably get quartered here too since I play it pretty much the same. Well, I wouldn't go all-in on the turn but since I'd probably call a river bet it ends up coming out the same. But I think a good argument can be made for folding the flop, assuming SB is a tight aggressive player and not just trying to steal pots all the time.

Third hand - JKK7ds is not so great. You're no better than 50/50 against almost any hand that can make a low, and something like 55/45 dog to ALxxs type hands. Your hand is also bad from a tournament perspective because it has a high chance of you getting eliminated - like prodonkey says, you want to have a shot at the low. With a high-only hand like this you have maybe a 40% chance of getting scooped, where playing random low junk your chances of getting scooped by non-premium hands would probably be only 30% or so. Lastly, your stack is still just big enough that you still have a chance to steal the blinds if your opponents happen to have truly junky hands. So I would fold and wait a little while longer...
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM

hand 1......c/b get it all in if need be

hand 2......i would get it all in on the turn....you have to get lucky in PLO8 mtts too.

hand 3......your stack with blinds a big chunk of your stack...this is acceptable.....
Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 PM

#1 I cont bet, but not a big cont bet. Its a bad flop for you, so you wanna make a tester to see if opponent has any interest in it. I definitely raise preflop, and then maybe bet T 1,000 on the flop. I fold to any pressure on the turn.

#2 Im fine with calling or raising in this spot. I think raising is slightly better.

#3 I hate to get it in with this type of hand, and I hate to call all in. If its a table where you think youll have any hope of stealing blinds, then I wait for a better spot. If you dont think you can steal blinds at all, or if villain has been raising a lot then you go with what youve got. Normally I dont think id put it in with more than 4 BB with this hand.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:12 PM

hand 1, I think you have to give a continuous bet on flop, about 1/2 pot, fold to reraise.
hand 2, It is better to raise preflop. it is a hand to head up. Push the turn, give a chance to your oppent to fold.
hand 3, just fold, wait for a good chance to push
Old 04-20-2007, 12:11 AM

I've read some replies to hand #3 and I see the point in waiting for a hand that can backdoor a low. But Unless your opponent has 2 aces this hand is essentially a coinflip (assuming he has an Ace and low cards). I'm ready to flip a coin in this situation to get back in the game.