Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Funny little softball story

Co-ed work slow-pitch softball league, pretty casual but a little competitive. Opponent at the plate (I'm at SS), 3-2 count, 2 out, two on. He is a lefty and they have the third-base side bench. Our pitcher throws a pitch headed at least a foot outside. A walk is a run here, because men get two bases on a walk in co-ed slow-pitch (discourage walking men to pitch to women).

Anyway, batter sees ball headed way outside, and takes off for first while tossing his bat toward bench. Pitch hits bat, foul ball, batter out, inning over. The look on his face was priceless! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

We lost anyway.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Funny little softball story

The foul was caught? Or is a foul with 2 strikes a strike in your league?
Old 08-14-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The foul was caught? Or a foul with 2 strikes a strike in your league?

[/ QUOTE ]
The bolded is standard in the co-ed leagues I've played in. No point in having twelve pitch at-bats since the whole point is to finish so you can go drinking.

Good story Bulldog, I read it in Sports but it must have gotten buried under all the *******OFFICIAL MY TEAM PWNS SUPPER BOWL XXXXLMC CHAMPIONS******* threads.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Same thing happened in my league a few weeks ago. It was hilarious. Also, it's standard that you don't get a couresy foul (your out if you foul w/ a strike) in all the leagues and tournaments I play. I also play 3 balls and 2 strikes as opposed to 4 & 3.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM

I thought u usually got at least one free foul with two strikes??
Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM

I assumed that he was called out because his bat made contact with the ball when he had at least one foot outside of the batters box.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought u usually got at least one free foul with two strikes??

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, it's pretty standard to play 3 balls 2 strikes, and foul ball on your second strike = out.

Keeps the game moving and shorter which is key for bar leagues trying to pack in 3 or 4 games/ night.

plus, who the f*ck needs 3 strikes in slow pitch softball?!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM

In the league I play in the count starts at 1-1 and a foul is a strike regardless of the count, fwiw.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:26 PM

I just started up in a league with my new job and played 3 games now. We are a terrible team that's like 1-13 now, but we've had really bad luck in the 3 games I've played:

Game 1) Our left center fielder breaks the tip of his pinky after slipping and falling chasing a ground ball. He refuses to come out even though his pinky is very crooked. We finish the half of the inning and he's up first. Instead of sitting out, he goes up to bat, hits a home run, and then sits on the bench in even more pain than before. He sits out the rest of the game.

Game 2) I got a nice hit up the middle, runner on 1st is an aggressive base runner and takes 3rd. In the process of sliding he rolls over his ankle, breaking his fibula and dislocating his ankle. We call game. He is out of work for at least 3 weeks. The positive: he was safe.

Game 3) In our final at-bat, one of our girls has a 3-2 count with 1 foul already with 2 outs, so the next pitch ends the game if it's any sort of strike. She fouls the ball off her face. Luckily she didn't get hurt, but it was quite a way to end the game.

Tonight is the season finale. Hopefully we can come out unscathed.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:49 PM

We had our tournament this past weekend, slow pitch co-ed league, 2 girls on the field per team, 7 or 8 guys (you don't have to have 10, you can play with 9).

We were a girl short, and in this situation, you have to put an empty batter in the lineup and they are an automatic out at that spot in the order.

Tie game in the 7th, we are only playing 7 because of the tournament, I'm on third after I pinch run for someone with no outs, I somehow move to third with one out, not sure how that happened, maybe other batter got thrown out at second behind me

So, tie game, runner on third 1 out, our first girl is now up, and an automatic out is coming up after her. She hits a high shallow fly that is caught for the second out as I stand on third. I start an angleshot and casually start walking home as their team heads towards the bench because they now assume there is 3 outs with the dead spot, and then make a break for home and score.

They throw a fit (seriously, this isn't complex math, the play wasn't over, there was still a live ball and I made an at-risk advance) they argue with the umps until the umps agree that I didn't tag up.

I did, I stood on third and was all coy about going home, if they would have just watched me instead of whatever the hell they were watching, we would have won the game, we ended up losing in 9.