Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Re: far too common spot of trouble

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think the sort of player who raises the flop with any of those hands isn't calling down if you 3bet very often and certainly also isn't checking behind on the turn. In fact, I don't remember the last time I encountered a player who would raise this flop without an Ace and check behind when called, and calldown once you 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The player you just described is the type of player I face every single time I play poker. I mean, clearly live full ring players are different from online short-handed players, but can the profiles be so different that it's useless to compare lines?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either that, or you're horribly off on your live reads. I've never seen such a player in any live game either so maybe it's a Socal thing.

Rob
Old 05-22-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The last time I was in this situation was in a 15 game on Stars where it goes I raise KK, McSketch 3bets, I cap, flop like A46r. I bet he raises I call. Turn blank I c/c. River J and I randomly decide to donk and he raises and I fold.

I was pretty pleased with how I was playing it until I bet the river, at which point I was just disgusted with myself because it was so bad.

So I guess the best way to play IMO is to just call down usually unless something changes and you decide you need to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha so he owns you live and online?

-DeathDonkey
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 AM

Yeah if he is the guy who I think he is live. Good thing online he plays like 92308423 times higher than me.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah if he is the guy who I think he is live. Good thing online he plays like 92308423 times higher than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be so sure. Sometimes the monster swings can take a toll on a brother and make him come back to the pack. I'll let him elaborate more if he wants.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 PM

k thanks for all the responses

i think the general consensus here is something like

b/f against a nit
b/c c/c c/f for rainbow flop
b/c c/c c/c if flush draw on flop and doesnt complete
Old 05-23-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never 3 bet here and I rarely 3 bet AK here. I like call, check/call, check/decide probably. It's weak but you did ask for least exploitable.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually damn effective against aggressive players. If you show lots of strength they back down. If you check call they bluff all of their money away.

Another line that confuses some players is to just call their raise on the flop and then donk any turn card other than king. If you are raised again on the turn you are likely beaten and it costs less than the re-raise on the flop followed by betting out on the turn.

If they call your donk on the turn then either check call or check fold on the river are options depending on your read. No reason to bet the river as you will neither get a fold from a better hand nor a call from a worse hand, but a check may induce a bluff.