Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Default 2/4 B&M - Bet or checkraise monster flop that I capped preflop?

(originally posted in BBV but a poster questioned my play so...)

2/4 B&M, 10 handed, loose & passive table

PreFlop: Hero is MP1 with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero raises, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button 3bets, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero 4bets, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls

Flop (5 players, 23 SB): J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero...

My plan was to checkraise and then keep raising till the cows came home, my thinking being that if I bet then button could raise and then I might not trap SB and BB for 2 bets. But now I'm thinking that letting this check thru would be horrible, that and I could also get a 3bet in if button does raise plus SB and UTG might come along for the ride regardless.

So, is it retarded to cap preflop and then not lead out on the flop? Or is a checkraise ok here?

GcluelessretardG
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: 2/4 B&M - Bet or checkraise monster flop that I capped preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
if I bet then button could raise and then I might not trap SB and BB for 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]
standard check
Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 PM

check and pray for a bet
Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 PM

¿Why did you raise pre-flop putting 4 bets? Maybe your opponent had QQ, KK, AA or AK. I thik that capping pre-flop is wrong.

I would bet, not check-raise. If you check, maybe everybody check.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:52 PM

I like the bet here. I would lean toward the button having an overpair which he would definitely raise with. Even if he just calls, everyone else is almost surely going to call with such a big pot odds on the bet. On the flipside if you do check, and it does end up being checked around, you've lost out on 4 small bets. Whereas a bet give you at least 2 small bets and perhaps up to 4 small bets more. Then the big bonus if the button raises.

If it does check around the pot odds would still be at a point that a 4 outer would be callable (assuming the turn is bet), so why not get at least a few more small bets in there? I just can't see many hands that would call a capped bet, not at least call ANY flop bet with over 24 to 1 odds on the call.

CB---
Old 02-28-2007, 03:53 PM

Bet and hope for a raise. On the flop I play this like I have QQ or KK. Hope that someone with AA tries to kick my ass.

If someone caps the flop after your 3-bet, then I would consider trying a c/r on the turn.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM

I don't like the cap preflop. Call the 3 bet. If you cap preflop and don't bet out on this board, other players will smell something fishy and are very likely to check it through on the flop. Your most likely capping hands are JJ+, so a continuation bet is standard.

By calling the 3 bet, you can be 90% sure the button will bet the flop and you can then checkraise it. With any luck button will 3 bet again, and you can check raise him again on the turn.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM

The pot's pretty big, and you need to do what you can do to win the pot, not trap players for small bets. Plus, your cap indicates a premium pair, so a continuation bet just seems normal. Since the button three-bet it preflop, I'd bet out and hope he raises it to shut the SB and UTG out. If the SB and UTG cold call, you can three-bet it. If they don't call, then you only have to deal with the button and the MP...you could reraise or call the button raise and plan to c/r the turn if you want. I wouldn't want to risk giving a free card at any time because the pot is big....a free card may give someone a draw that could wind up outdrawing your top set.

ScottieK
Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM

Is capping preflop not standard here? I'm at worst maybe behind the 3betting button but most likely ahead of the other 3 players, so why not pump this pot?

(if you want to see what other players actually had in this hand, see my BBV post)
Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM

I would never cap preflop w/ JJ, rarely do w/ AA.

The way you played it you could easily have an UI AK. So I would check to the 3-bettor on the button and try to trap some suckers b/w.

The question is, can I wait til the turn to c/r?