Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 PM

Default How does poker change you?

I just started getting into online poker and right now I feel fine grinding up a roll through micro limits. My strategy is to play extremely tight, be very observant of other players, and read 2 + 2. I only 2-table. If I lose a buy-in, I usually quit for the session or at least 30 minutes.

Anyway, I'm wondering that as I become more knowledgeable of poker and have invested more time and winning more money, my psyche will change. It seems like it would be easy to move into a degenerate lifestyle while winning a ton of money.

What changes as you move up through the limits? I obviousuly don't want to end up like some of the busto ex-high stakes players who don't know the value of money, quit learning the game, etc...

Edit: Basically, how do you keep such an emotionally difficult game a healthy habit?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Re: How does poker change you?

I'm just coming off of a few month binge of completely devalueing money. When it comes easy it's not hard throw it around like it's nothing. I'd advise anyone in that situation to find an investment consultant you can trust and immediately put yourself on a budget!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 AM

you learn to have better control of your emotions.

it sounds like the problem you are worried about is having too much money and needing a gambling fix of sorts. this shouldn't be a concern, those people are like that before they succeed in poker, they just didn't have the means of indulging to excess before. if you don't have those impulses now becoming better at poker won't instill them.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:08 AM

I played blackjack for a long time before discovering poker. I had big wins and big losses in that time. Often after big wins I'd spend big, and big losses while they sucked, you develop an immunity to it over time. Nothing makes you feel as sick as wasting 10k+ in a session on a silly game a chance though. Now that I play poker constantly, games of chance are of no interest to me, and while it gives me a gambling fix (showdown hands give that same sensation), I treat it as my job or business (which it is). Because I experienced those spending binges when I was younger, I'm very controlled with money now and basically it makes no difference how much I have.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:37 AM

It's almost impossible to not devalue money once you move up to probaly $1/2 or higher where you win and lose several 100 at a time. I also feel that I have become less emotional towards a lot of things, which isn't really a good thing. I've become so conditioned to not let things bother me in poker that sometimes things in life don't bother me that should. I don't really know what to tell you other than try to keep poker a hobby rather than a major source of income. Also, play less frequently. Don't get into the "grind" of poker.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:48 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

[ QUOTE ]
It's almost impossible to not devalue money once you move up to probaly $1/2 or higher where you win and lose several 100 at a time. I also feel that I have become less emotional towards a lot of things, which isn't really a good thing. I've become so conditioned to not let things bother me in poker that sometimes things in life don't bother me that should. I don't really know what to tell you other than try to keep poker a hobby rather than a major source of income. Also, play less frequently. Don't get into the "grind" of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy the grind and like the way poker has changed me mentally.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 AM

Before, I played Poker, I wandered through life as an observer, just waiting to see what would happen. Poker has taught me to take charge,and I have become more goal oriented.

I tend to size up situations similar to the way I would a Poker hand, determining my objective, measuring risk vs. reward, the nature of obstacles and choosing the course of action that will give me the best chance to succeeed.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

i drink more
Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM

Biggest thing I learned from poker (specifically live) is reading people's body language. Comes in handy literally every day in regular life. (It's also something to do to pass the time in meetings lol)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:15 PM

To move up in stakes and be successful at those higher limits, you need to devalue the money you're playing with (to a certain extent). You can't obsess over losing 5 big blinds while playing, and likewise, you will begin to not worry about losing the equivalent of 5 big blinds in real life. It's unavoidable, and IMO, necessary for success if you want to move up to higher stakes.

You can't be a complete degen and completely devalue money... then you'll forever cycle between busto and robusto.