Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ohio St 11-0
1 38 90.48%
2 2 4.76%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

Also, I don't think Jamie Gold is going to push allin for 400K or w/e he had left on the river. Does Doyle necessarily have to play for the whole stack if he calls the c/r? Yes, it's gonna be a big pot, but, depending on the river, I think Jamie might check or bet some amount like 150-200K.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all arguments aside, man it would've been sweet if Doyle stacked Jamie in a $1 mill pot there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wanted him to make the call, but I think he made the right decision.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't think Jamie Gold is going to push allin for 400K or w/e he had left on the river. Does Doyle necessarily have to play for the whole stack if he calls the c/r? Yes, it's gonna be a big pot, but, depending on the river, I think Jamie might check or bet some amount like 150-200K.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of the problem. If Gold is ahead with the Q or J high flush its very likely they're playing for stacks, at the very least its going to be a big pot. If Gold is behind with a baby flush (or bluff, or weaker hand) he's likely to check/fold to a big pot or call a small bet. So Doyle is losing the big pots and winning the smaller pots.

On top of all of this, its a high variance hand in a very marginal situation. Instead, Doyle can save his money and continue to play directly to the left of Gold. Its pretty likely there are going to be a number of better situations coming up throughout the day.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:53 AM

Great show, horrible thread. What else is new.

1) Ditto on Antonio's great reads, and I actually don't think he played the AA hand that badly. Super deep stacks, and knows (as well as anyone who's seen Barry on TV) that Greenstein is capable of 3-betting with a big draw (Ks8x). And since he was in the blinds his hand is hard to read. Antonio doesn't want to play a huge pot, especially if he's beat, and with Barry betting out into the field he's capable of holding a flush as well.

When Barry fires the third barrel on the river, Antonio is right to consider that he's beaten (Barry looked like he wanted a call and liked his hand), but of course he has to call there.

2) Doyle played his flush hand fine. All you guys who can see Jamie's cards are gleefully talking about how easy it is to shove like 400BBs into the pot there. Kaplan called it perfectly -- the way Doyle reads the situation (albeit incorrectly), Jamie is either bluffing or he has a monster (unfortunately, Jamie is too bad at poker to realize the 9-high flush is not a monster vs. Doyle). Doyle correctly read that Jamie loved his hand, so he figured he'd let go of the small amount he'd invested into the pot because it's a RIO situation -- if he's beat, he's drawing dead.

The stack sizes made it an awkward hand to be in at the time. With a smaller stack he can shove, and with a larger stack he can call and face a river decision. With 500k and Jamie's raise to 125, Doyle is finding it hard to commit himself with that hand. Folding is a minor mistake if he's ahead of Jamie's bluff (Jamie wouldn't follow through on the river), and if Jamie's ahead, calling is a gigantic mistake.

Great play Doyle, and all these internet fish behind their dorm room 50-Cent posters and suburban Michigan minivans in mom's driveway can relax on the computer chair and pretend they're better at poker than you, but you've been owning the likes of them for decades. Keep on keepin' on.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If doyle calls the turn he has to go with any nonspade river i think. So basically at that time doyle knew he wasn't just calling the turn raise but also another huge bet on the river. He also knew Gold was strong .. and Gold being the total donk he is thinks a flush there is the nuts. To the people that don't think Gold is stacking off there, I really think they give this guy way too much credit. I don't even think he sits there long on the decision.

Yeah he did fold AK to Hellmuth but lets face it, hellmuth is a nit and the board was all spades and Gold had no spade. It was only top pair. A flush? Gold isnt laying down any flush.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:58 AM

BTW benyamine has major brass balls to play 72 that way. I mean the last guy on earth you want to bluff at is Jamie Gold. The only reason that bluff worked is Gold has absolutely zip and pip. I mean I don't see gold laying down even middle pair. The guy is the biggest fish alive.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Great play Doyle, and all these internet fish behind their dorm room 50-Cent posters and suburban Michigan minivans in mom's driveway can relax on the computer chair and pretend they're better at poker than you, but you've been owning the likes of them for decades. Keep on keepin' on.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeez, bud, we're just discussing a poker hand, it's not an epic battle of the ages. Pretty interesting hand, too...the people arguing Doyle's side make some good points.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy is the biggest fish alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like him, but he did win the Freaking Main Event. Sure the deck smacked him in the face, but don't you think it takes at least *SOME* talent to win that?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great show, horrible thread. What else is new.

1) Ditto on Antonio's great reads, and I actually don't think he played the AA hand that badly. Super deep stacks, and knows (as well as anyone who's seen Barry on TV) that Greenstein is capable of 3-betting with a big draw (Ks8x). And since he was in the blinds his hand is hard to read. Antonio doesn't want to play a huge pot, especially if he's beat, and with Barry betting out into the field he's capable of holding a flush as well.

When Barry fires the third barrel on the river, Antonio is right to consider that he's beaten (Barry looked like he wanted a call and liked his hand), but of course he has to call there.

2) Doyle played his flush hand fine. All you guys who can see Jamie's cards are gleefully talking about how easy it is to shove like 400BBs into the pot there. Kaplan called it perfectly -- the way Doyle reads the situation (albeit incorrectly), Jamie is either bluffing or he has a monster (unfortunately, Jamie is too bad at poker to realize the 9-high flush is not a monster vs. Doyle). Doyle correctly read that Jamie loved his hand, so he figured he'd let go of the small amount he'd invested into the pot because it's a RIO situation -- if he's beat, he's drawing dead.

The stack sizes made it an awkward hand to be in at the time. With a smaller stack he can shove, and with a larger stack he can call and face a river decision. With 500k and Jamie's raise to 125, Doyle is finding it hard to commit himself with that hand. Folding is a minor mistake if he's ahead of Jamie's bluff (Jamie wouldn't follow through on the river), and if Jamie's ahead, calling is a gigantic mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Doyle is acutely aware of how to adjust his play to (reverse) implied odds. This is evidenced by his flush and call/fold of AK.

Jamie is [censored] annoying with his declarations of wanting to be the best bluffer and analysis of Benyamine two-barrelling him being a "great play" because it happened to work.

I doubt Barry will read this thread, so if anyone sees Barry responding to a thread can you ask him how he would respond to a turn raise? If Barry knew Antonio was capable of semi-bluffing with a hand like KsQx, I wonder if Antonio could have made more money there. lol at Jamie claiming how Antonio made the least money possible, but it's a great sign of professionalism from the players to not correct the donk.

I wonder how much money or what strings Doyle and Barry pulled to have position on both Guy and Jamie at this table.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 AM

Shane -- of course you're right, but I felt like I just had to exaggerate to make a point... mostly my annoyance was driven by the posters who were just making one-line ZOMG DOYLE FOLDED A FLUSH WHAT A FISH. I admit there are smart arguments to be made against Doyle's side (not sure why you said "the people arguing Doyle's side make some good points," since I am one of them), but the attitude of the naive and hubristic newbies on here slamming Doyle without thinking through the situation is fairly bothersome.