Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Guy crashes into my truck, his fault, gives false insurance info

BigBen,

Relax and stop being such an idiot.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM

Definitely go the police route first. But, if that doesn't work, there is no way I let this go. Maybe I'm just a hotheaded idiot, but I'm not letting this slide. I'd have to think about what to do, but I would make sure the world stayed in balance.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only play here is going to the police, don't show up to the dude's house, nothing good will come of this

alternatively, call your insurance company and ask what to do, they have probably dealt with this before

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts (I'm in the insurance business):

1. Calling cops probably won't do you any good re: getting your $$. They filled out a report and the person filled his info, some of it false. Even if they give him a ticket for filing false report, how is that going to get your $$? It's not.

2. You've made reasonable attempts to contact this individual by phone. You can try a letter next. If that doesn't work you could enlist an attorney, who likely would charge you $$ to pursue that it wouldn't be worthwhile to use said attorney.

3. Your insurance company can give you advice and might issue letter to recoup the whole repair cost (including deductible). How much they pay to fix your car will determine how hard they pursue. If it's $1-2k to fix they'll probably try with a letter or 2 and phone calls. Probably not worth their cost to sick a mad attorney.

4. I'd recommend you get the repair done through your insurance company, pay the deductible and provide them the accident report & contact info you've developed (right phone #). It sucks you have to pay the deductible. This unfortunately happens a lot....the responsible person with insurance pays when a deadbeat causes an accident.

This accident shouldn't be held against your insurance costs (unless you have a lot of claims).
Old 11-06-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
big bend, he isnt going to pay much. your 250 you can get by calling him or leaving a message that you will pursure felony criminal charges for false identification.
this guy probably is already on probation and will pay the 250 to get you to shut up, or he will kill you. probably pay.

but really this is the same as if he hit you son and told him he didnt have insurance.
you would be in the same situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah good point. i thought about this but didn't post it. i mean, say the guy said "i have no insurance", you'd have to pay the $250 anyway right? if anything this is better since maybe the guy will get into some kind of legal trouble for forging papers.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM

dont hire an attorney yet. not worth it.
contact the cops like others have said. the cops would be very interested in pursuing a guy who gave them forged papers. who knows what kind of charges they are likely to file against him (especially if it pisses off the cop involved as it might hurt his ego that someone conned him into believing that papers were genuine)

pray daily that the guy runs into a large semitruck next time, from the side, in a mountaneous road...probably wont happen but hey you can always hope right.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM

if you pm me his number i can run it to get his address if you need it for a future beat down.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:00 PM

What have you got to lose by contacting the cops, def gotta be your first step imo.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:08 PM

update?
Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 PM

This cop was beyond lazy, he was incompetent. Not wanting to fill out a report .. okay paperwork is a PITA. But not verifying that he has valid insurance?

WTF, I'd be tempted to speak with his superior over this matter.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Damn lazy cop not wanting to write a report at the scene, talked me out of it, my bad, live n learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't believe your upset about the cop, he seemed more than helpful. He even agreed to testify for you. Maybe you should get him to hold your hand in court too.