Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:35 PM

Default Re: poker pro - hardest job there is?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would also say that putting in a lot of hours playing poker is much harder than putting in the same hours at practically any other job.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you can't compare hours. You have to compare earnings. Stocking store shelves after hours is pretty easy and if you compare 4 hours of that vs 4 hours of poker then obviously poker is harder. But poker also pays 50 times as much. If you compare 200 hours of stock shelves vs 4 hours of poker then poker is much easier.

That is the problem with OP's post. He wants to just look at the actual job without any of the other relevant information. That is why he is getting so much grief since everyone else is looking at the complete picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already addressed the wage issue in the beginning under lifestyle. This alone makes being a poker pro much better than any other job. Let's instead though say online poker payed $10-15/hr. Now you would have to put in as many hours as any other job and be making the same as well. Now where does poker pro rank? It would have to be way harder than any other job at that wage. As it is, online poker players have sick hourlies and don't have to work many hours so it's obviously pretty awesome.

I'm saying though that the actual work involved while on the clock is much tougher than the vast majority of jobs/careers.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:10 PM

Personally dealing with other people is what makes employment difficult for me. So for me poker would still be the best job even if it paid $15/hr.

When I think of jobs that only pay $10-15/hr they all seem awful. Once you hit this level you have hit rock-bottom. It doesn't matter. Miserable is miserable.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Prop traders

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-23-2007, 02:51 AM

people are giving OP grief because he's mistaken. While I understand the stress of playing online poker for a living, unless you are on a short roll, there's no way it should be super stressful. Becoming good at the game means treating the money involved as points, not dollars. And yes, while other jobs have downtimes, they also often have deadlines, bosses, and other people to deal with.

One can burn out from poker to be sure - but stressful? No - not quite like a ton of other jobs.

But again if OP is shortrolled, there are few more stressful jobs.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people are giving OP grief because he's mistaken. While I understand the stress of playing online poker for a living, unless you are on a short roll, there's no way it should be super stressful. Becoming good at the game means treating the money involved as points, not dollars. And yes, while other jobs have downtimes, they also often have deadlines, bosses, and other people to deal with.

One can burn out from poker to be sure - but stressful? No - not quite like a ton of other jobs.

But again if OP is shortrolled, there are few more stressful jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never mentioned stressful, I agree that it's not really a stressful job. But multitabling online poker for hours on end is hard because it's so mentally taxing.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM

If you're talking strictly in terms of the necessary skill level required, then beating mid/high stakes poker for a respectable win rate is one of the hardest jobs there is. Of course the hours are better and the work is more fun than any minimum wage nonsense, but flipping burgers or cleaning toilets for 16 hours a day are 'easy' jobs in the sense that anyone in the world can do them, regardless of whether they have an IQ of 80 or 180.

Being a poker professional is 'hard' in the same sense that hitting one of Curt Schilling's fastballs out of Fenway Park is 'hard,' ie. few people in the world have the skills necessary to do it. Obviously the difficulty of the job in this sense has nothing to do with how desirable the job is. Who wouldn't want to be a major league baseball player? If a lawyer or engineer had the necessary skills to beat 10/20NL for $500,000/year, or to bat cleanup for the Colorado Rockies in the World Series, I'm sure many of them would quit their jobs and do that instead. But not many of them will, because they don't have the requisite skills and therefore succeeding in professional sports or professional poker would be too 'hard' for them.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never mentioned stressful, I agree that it's not really a stressful job. But multitabling online poker for hours on end is hard because it's so mentally taxing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. The level of play is so bad that a good player can just play on autopilot.

A bunch of bad beats in rapid sequence could be mentally taxing but again any pro will have gone though that so many times that it shouldn't even register.

[ QUOTE ]
If a lawyer or engineer had the necessary skills to beat 10/20NL for $500,000/year, or to bat cleanup for the Colorado Rockies in the World Series, I'm sure many of them would quit their jobs and do that instead. But not many of them will, because they don't have the requisite skills and therefore succeeding in professional sports or professional poker would be too 'hard' for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the loyalty programs and given how soft poker currently is; anyone can make $140k/year+ putting in 48 hours a week. I realize 48 hours is greater then the normal work week but given when I finished law school I was facing 80-100hrs/week it doesn't seem that taxing.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The level of play is so bad that a good player can just play on autopilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are beating 200/400 for 2BB/100 this is a really dumb statement.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to beat 200/400 to make a very good living. I think most online players would be happy with $150k/year. You can beat the levels required to generate that income on autopilot.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to beat 200/400 to make a very good living. I think most online players would be happy with $150k/year. You can beat the levels required to generate that income on autopilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are autopiloting then you are playing way below your earning potential.