Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: wine refrigerator thread

OP, what region and varietal is your collection mainly? This will make a difference as most pinot bottles don't fit the normal racks, so when buying a fridge that is something that you have to take into consideration as the bottle estimates are geared towards the traditional 750mL bordeaux style bottles.

really, if you're going to buy a fridge, you may as well do it right and buy a eurocave. The ~100 bottle ones aren't cheap, but they aren't overtly expensive either. If you use craigslist, you can most likely find some good deals on eurocaves as opposed to buying one new
Old 09-26-2007, 02:01 AM

My wife and I got a Danby dual-zone for a wedding gift. First one...didn't work. So we called, they sent us a new one, were great to work with. Second one works fine for about 3 months. Now, it won't cool below 75*! It is very frustrating, I am going to call them and complaint like no other. Anyway, it seems like a good wine fridge when it actually works, but being 0-2 is not good business.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'll probably just get it stored professionally at one of those wine lockers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think thats the way to go dunno about the US but over here to keep a case in a professional wine place its between $12-16 a year per case. A decent wine cabinet seems to be $2000+ for the Eurocaves (maybe exchange rate issue there though) plus whatever running costs, or you can get a pretty cool 1600 capacity spiral cellar sunk into any house or garage for $10,000.

I just ordered some cases on en primeur which when delivered wont be ready till 2014 so into storage they will go, is just the safest option unless you really know what you are doing.

For everyday drinking stuff a wine rack anywhere the temperature is constant (for me under the stairs) is fine.

Think its a nice toy idea but probably isnt really worthwhile.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:04 PM

I just got 4 bottles of nice red wine (Chateau Beauregard Pomerol 2000).

but, have no wine fridge, and my apt is about 85 degrees right now. it will be like this for another 2 days probably, then will be cooler.

better to put the bottles in my regular fridge than leave them out? is it bad to store wine at 35 degrees or whatever?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 PM

Wine in the fridge is fine in the short term. Long term it's no good because too cold to age properly and too dry. But for the short term it's much better than heat.