Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Alan Schoonmaker\'s Opinion For My Next Book

I'm for either What Poker Teaches Us or Alegbra for 10-Year Olds. I'd like to see more mathematically educated people around outside the 2+2 world. Come on 2+2, figure out how to get these books to people.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM

I think a simplified TOP would be a bad idea. I own nearly all 2+2 poker-specific books, yet, if I would buy this one it would be for completeness.

I just don't believe this is a case where re-writing a book that any serious poker player already owns is a good idea.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 PM

A book like "What Poker Teaches Us" certainly has the potential to be a big hit outside the gambling community. However...

At the risk of offending, the writing in all of your books is pretty bad. Unless you get a ghost writer and/or a better editor, I find it hard to imagine you will have any great success selling books outside of niche markets.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Algebra book and it isn't close. And please give us a sneak peak at some of these ideas (whether you write the book or not) that make you such an awesome algebra teacher.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

50 POKER HANDS THAT REALLY TEACH YOU SOMETHING

Although I’m sure you could do an outstanding job with this book, I can’t
imagine poker players agreeing that there is only one way to play a hand.
Just look at our forums. Some debates about hands have five or more
positions.

[/ QUOTE ]This is why I think it would be so informative and interesting after you pull this off.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on Sklansky, ALGEBRA BOOK will make you a legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he already? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007, 12:35 PM

DS,

I think you should write a fictional novel that incorporates all of these concepts.

For example, the hero is a younger lady in high school, and she is having trouble with algebra. The janitor overhears her talking about her troubles, and decides to help her, but he teaches algebra to her in a way she never got before.

The janitor also plays poker, and he introduces her to the game. She takes a liking to poker, and he discuss (in about 50 different points in the story) ways to play in specific situations.

Eventually, they stumble across a copy of Theory of Poker, and the janitor knows it very well. However, she does not. He explains it to her in a much easier to understand manner than the original book does, and she begins to fully understand.

In fact, after having some poker, and algebra success, the girl and the janitor begin to talk with each other about what poker teaches them about life.

In that discussion, she just can't take it anymore, she decides to have sex with him, and she's only 16.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM

Also a mathematics teacher here, and I agree. It is insulting to think that someone who directly teaches children doesn't want them to learn and doesn't want the most effective ways to create learning.

However, I will agree that algebra is usually taught faily awkwardly, especially pre-algebra concepts. But in public education, there's just really no 'cure all' method, since it comes down to "Joey and Sally are brilliant and could learn this in a week, but Tammie and Chirs will struggle with single digit multiplication through the 10th grade."

This book would be impossible to market as a "textbook", but might find success as a way for concerned parents to help kids at home. Learning algebra usually comes during a time when kids need help at home anyways.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 AM

It's an awfully weird thing to be telling you you don't know how to sell books.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:02 AM

Alan's points are good. I've commented in other thread to, putting my point of view, and giving link which shows discussion by your 'typical' market.

But I don't understand why ppl find ToP 'difficult', but then again they don't probably try to deduce/calculate stuff for themselves when they start playing (using probability and Dave Scharf's Beginner's book).