Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Organ Donations

Flint,

It's something I honestly don't even know how to explain. I know that in theory I have nothing to lose by giving up my organs, but for some reason it REALLY bothers me thinking about giving up MY organs.

Like I said, I know it's selfish, and doesn't make any sense but I think I've just accepted that this is one part of my life I'm allowed to be a little crazy about without actually being crazy.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an organ donar. I'm selfish, superstitious, and doing everyone a favor as I'm sure my liver and kidneys are prob worthless anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

They might be, but they might not be. One of your kidneys is probably a lot better than the poor schmuck's on the waiting list who needs it. You've likely got other stuff that can be used anyway. Maybe corneas.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flint,

It's something I honestly don't even know how to explain. I know that in theory I have nothing to lose by giving up my organs, but for some reason it REALLY bothers me thinking about giving up MY organs.

Like I said, I know it's selfish, and doesn't make any sense but I think I've just accepted that this is one part of my life I'm allowed to be a little crazy about without actually being crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Klompy,

Just assume that Scarlett, Keira, fluffpop or [insert other hottie's name] will get your lungs/heart/whatever else is salvageable after your untimely demise.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM

42it,

Actually if I saw IRL who's life I'd be saving by giving up an organ I think I'd have a really hard time not doing it. It's something I'll have to reconsider next time I go to the DMV.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 PM

Hey! I work for an Organ Procurement Organization. We are THE agency that handles organ donations from deceased donors. (Actually there are 58 OPOs in the united states, each handles a defined geographic region).

Ask me anything about the organ donation process - who can be a donor, who can't, how it works, what is true and what is myth...
Old 10-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Considering that I got an organ transplanted into me, I'd have to say I'm an organ donor particularly because I realize the importance of it.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Considering that I got an organ transplanted into me, I'd have to say I'm an organ donor particularly because I realize the importance of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trip Report?

Also, are you allowed to donate that same organ again?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say no because some hospitals will allow an organ donor to die so they can be harvested, but in that same situation try to save that same guy if he isn't an organ donor. They make a profit out of all those harvesting and transplanting operations, why should I let them play God with me to make a few bucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have high suspicions that you are just trolling and don't actually mean this. I'm not willing to go back and read through old posts to find out if this is your norm, however. If I did so, the terrorists would win.

However, there are some people who might actually have suspicions that this might be true. Therefore, I'll spend some time talking about it.

In my hospital, the people most responsible for how well a person does when they are crashing in the intensive care unit are the nurses and the resident physicians. I have no idea how well the nurses get paid. I do know that the residents are on salary (and it blows). If you wanted to be extremely cynical about it--and it appears that you do, you would think that it would be in their best interests to keep the patient alive. Dead patient equals more paperwork, more phone calls, and an empty bed for Hobbes to send another nursing home GOMER up into.

Speaking only for my state:
Almost without exception, the docs taking care of a patient have no flipping idea whether or not they are organ donors. The only time I ever know is when the patient's family themselves bring it up when they are trying to decide whether or not to withdraw ventilatory support (this has only happened a couple of times). The way the process works is that after your patient dies, you call the regional organ bank (recently renamed Gift of Hope here) and give them the lowdown. They'll ask age, comorbidities, sometimes lab values, signs of recent infection, etc. You'll get a conditional yes/no as to whether the patient might be an organ donor or maybe just a tissue donor candidate. If your patient is a potential donor, then the organ bank folks will get the info for contact info from the next of kin (or decision maker). Out of the doc's hand at this point in time. The only time we call the organ bank folks before a death is when there is a plan to withdraw support (extubate, turn off a pacemaker, turn off a balloon pump, etc.). This is only done after the decision has already been made by the family to stop aggressive and artificial measures.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'll admit I didn't appreciate the relative costs vs. transplant or no transplant. Although after 45 minutes of searching I didn't find any actual evidence one way or the other on lowering/raising insurance premiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't. The only thing to consider is total cost to the insurance companies. A strong supply of paid organs decreases long-term costs for those companies.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll concede that point KotOD. Now I'd like you to concede that stopping being an organ donor is an illogical response to the issue. You could raise lots of awareness about this issue by walking up to a person in time square and shooting them in the face. You'd get lots of media attention and lots of time to express your views about necessary organ donation reform.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using cost analysis and market arguments has fallen on deaf ears. People (read: congressthings) immediately jump to the "poor people will murder and sell organs" and "rich people will horde the organs" types of arguments. Fine - if they won't think logically, maybe a severe shortage of organs will wake them up.

Though, with the government we have, it's more likely that they'll just force organ donations. Think of the children.

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't believe people that don't donate organs are guilty of murder, the effect is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome argument.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
While I don't believe people that don't donate organs are guilty of murder, the effect is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it?

A "severe shortage of organs" costs people's lives.