Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Do I commit with this overpair? ($25NL 6-max)

Villain's had the big stack since I sat down - I have him at 38/11/1.4, but this is the first time I've seen him raise pre-flop and then follow up with a full pot-sized bet. Up to this point his c-bets have been in the 2/3-3/4 pot range.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($10.79)
Button ($6.74)
Hero ($33.18)
BB ($19.62)
UTG ($36.05)
MP ($15.32)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.85, Hero calls $0.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($2.80) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $2.8</font>, Button calls $2.80, Hero ?????

It's time for a commitment decision, as a call here is just about 10% of my stack. If I call and villain fires two more PSB's, it will be enough to put me in, so I need to decide before I call this bet how far I'm willing to take it.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Do I commit with this overpair? ($25NL 6-max)

You should consider 3betting TT pre-flop as you are OOP ($2.5-$2.8 should do the job). Depending on the table I would even 3bet TT 100% of the time regardless of position. By just calling you basically reduce your hand value post-flop to making a set. Also, as you move up you will have to 3bet TT anyway or you lose a lot of value.

On the flop you should lead out with $2.00 in my opinion. This makes it much easier to read UTG's hand as he will likely come over the top with better overpairs. If there is no resistance you can consider your hand likely to be best and bet the turn. As deep as you are there is no fault in folding if UTG shows resistance.

As played I think a pot sized bet into two people shows quite some strength. You can't call this. Either raise to $8, hoping he has overcards (&lt;- this is where you need reads) or fold. Button is of no concern as he is so short that you can't really get away vs. him considering the strength of your hand.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should consider 3betting TT pre-flop as you are OOP ($2.5-$2.8 should do the job). Depending on the table I would even 3bet TT 100% of the time regardless of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stack sizes + being OOP = a smooth-call preflop. If I had position on him, I probably 3-bet it pre-flop, but I hate building big pots when I don't have position - at least not without a really big hand. Likewise, if villain is shortstacked, I'll go ahead and put him all-in, as I did on an earlier table with 99 vs. a shortstack.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 PM

You 3bet OOP because you will take it down a huge amount of the time and to gain the initiative.

If you just flat call you have to check/fold 95% of the flops. This one is a rare occasion where you might decide to go on with the hand but then UTG shows a lot of strength here and it will be more expensive to define your/his hand as a better/worse overpair. Choosing to blindly call this down is a mistake IMO. ("Blindly" because you have no idea where you stand if you call here.)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Raising minimizes the number of decisions you have to make OOP, so it is also a strategy for playing OOP. I understand keeping the pot small, but with a hand as big as TT I'm not sure why you would want to. Get it HU, commit on any flop without an Ace or two broadway.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:48 PM

I don't mind the preflop call. Your position sucks and I think if you reraise you're turning your hand into a bluff a lot of times. If you don't take it down preflop or on the flop you're not going to like the spot you're in a lot of times, even if you do have an overpair.

As played on the flop, you should just fold this. He raised UTG, and he's betting pot into 2 people. With the two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s and possible straight draws on board, it really looks like an overpair protecting its hand rather than a 2/3-3/4 bet just to pick it up. The button isn't to be overlooked either; he could have a draw but he could also be slowplaying a set or straight. You got in cheaply, and now you're in a bad spot so I think you have an easy fold even though you'll have the best hand sometimes. Just like PNL says: Out of position = out of the action.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:12 PM
 is offline

I balance between calling and reraising an UTG raiser with 11% pfr. I don`t mind a call pf. I think just folding is ok here. But I`m such a nit.

The problem with calling is that you don`t get any wiser on the turn IMO. If he is holding an overpair, KcAc a set combo draw etc.. he is gonna fire the turn again. An argument could me made to

If you checkraise to 11 or so you are commited of calling a push ;(

Old 08-18-2007, 07:14 PM

why are you not 3betting pre-flop? you have a strong hand OOP, you need to protect it and take control of the aggression. i would bet $3.75 here rather than call.
if i didnt raise this pre-flop i would definatly be leading on this flop.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An argument could me made to

[/ QUOTE ]

could be made to what?? Oh, the suspense!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
 is offline

Meant to say an argument could be made to checkraise, but ...
If you checkraise ... bla bla