Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Documentaries

[ QUOTE ]
Another one I recommend is Black Tar Heroin. The director followed a group of kids who used for a year or two. It was incredible to see how quickly and mercilessly the drug destroyed these people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that. Very disturbing.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:37 AM

One of my favorites is the Iceman Richard Kuklinski. They did 2 interviews with him, about 10 years apart, from the prison that he is in and made a film for each one. He was hit man for the mob and admits to killing many people (exact #'s escape me). The person interviewing him is some kind of shrink and throughout the piece they cut in and out of the interview, some reenactments, and actual pictures of the crime scenes. This documentary was very compelling and I've watched it several times. If you like the mafia type stuff, you should really check these out. They are on HBO on demand every once in a while.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 AM

You guys should check out Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends.

It was a BBC docu series made a few years back where he would explore various 'weird' groups in America, eg. neo-nazis, wrestlers, swingers, rappers, survivalists, etc. Always interesting and usually hilarious.

He was the first person I saw who covered the young blonde twins who sing racist songs, since then I've seen their story mentioned a few times on various shows.

He recently got commissioned to make 10 new documentaries and the first, entitled 'Gambling In Las Vegas' airs this Sunday on the BBC. Should be good.

Also, I don't believe a US airdate has been announced yet, but David Attenborough's Planet Earth was unreal. Some incredible camera work.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM

Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War".

I try and watch it at least once a year on DVD. I like the personal stories from the soldiers perspectives as well as the many vintage photos he uses to tell the story.

From imdb:

[ QUOTE ]
This highly acclaimed mini series traces the course of the U.S. Civil War from the abolitionist movement through all the major battles to the death of President Lincoln and the beginnings of Reconstruction. The story is mostly told in the words of the participants themselves, through their diaries, letters, and Visuals are usually still photographs and illustrations of the time, and the soundtrack is likewise made up of war-era tunes played on period instruments. Several modern-day historians offer periodic comment and insight on the war's causes and events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orange
Old 01-31-2007, 11:00 AM

uh, you might want to read the op.

Of course. I just wanted to see if YOU were paying attention.

Can't believe I overlooked that. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

While reading this thread I jotted down the names of a half dozen or so docs I want to see. Didn't even notice El D. already had that one covered in his OP.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War".

I try and watch it at least once a year on DVD. I like the personal stories from the soldiers perspectives as well as the many vintage photos he uses to tell the story.

From imdb:

[ QUOTE ]
This highly acclaimed mini series traces the course of the U.S. Civil War from the abolitionist movement through all the major battles to the death of President Lincoln and the beginnings of Reconstruction. The story is mostly told in the words of the participants themselves, through their diaries, letters, and Visuals are usually still photographs and illustrations of the time, and the soundtrack is likewise made up of war-era tunes played on period instruments. Several modern-day historians offer periodic comment and insight on the war's causes and events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Orange

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to this. It was just replayed on PBS. There is a newer DVD release with some extras , Maps and photos too. If you dig history and/or the Civil war this is really a must you can srsly watch all the DVD's in a row and not care that you lost a day of your life.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:02 PM

Louis Theroux's first series is amazing. Kinda odd ball take on things and very funny. Cant wait till sunday.

A few others that come to mind.

tarnation

Cost $218 to make and is produced by Gus van sant(elephant). Quite quirky , often painful to watch doc of Jon Caouettes family. Has an array of differnt types of footage which add to the interest but for me it didnt quite live up to its billing. Lots of friends loved it mind.

march of the penguins

Not sure how my girlfriend tricked me into thinking this was a cartoon but loved it anyway. Awesome take on the love life of these little animals. Narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Touching the viod

Not really a lot here to say other than watch it.

Bus 174

Intense and very insettling. People talk about Rio as being very unsafe, this kinda shows why. Basic plot...guy boards bus, takes passenagers hostage, gets shown on live on TV.

Scratch

Gives the a little history of hip-hop DJing. Not for everyone but has a good vibe.

dogtown and stoked

Again not for everyone but if you enjoy skateboarding it might be of interest.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Grizzly man!

[censored] speaking man gets eaten in alaska with his wife by grizzlys, how does it get more badass than that? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 PM

The Fog of War is definitely my favorite documentary. I won't bother explaining more since others have...

The one recommendation I have that others have not mentioned here is A League of Ordinary Gentlemen . This is a fascinating documentary about the PBA. I saw it and Murderball around the same time, and I found the bowling movie much more interesting.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The War Room
A behind-the-scenes documentary about the Clinton for President campaign, focusing on the adventures of spin doctors James Carville and George Stephanopoulos. Bill Clinton himself is almost never seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot about this. Interestingly, Carville names people who he thinks are behind the adultery leaks during the NH primary and one, Roger Ailes, is now head of Fox News.