Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Do I commit with this overpair? ($25NL 6-max)

[ QUOTE ]
why are you not 3betting pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I don't want to build a big pot OOP given the stack sizes involved. I really want Queens or higher before 3-betting.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should consider 3betting TT pre-flop as you are OOP ($2.5-$2.8 should do the job). Depending on the table I would even 3bet TT 100% of the time regardless of position. By just calling you basically reduce your hand value post-flop to making a set. Also, as you move up you will have to 3bet TT anyway or you lose a lot of value.

On the flop you should lead out with $2.00 in my opinion. This makes it much easier to read UTG's hand as he will likely come over the top with better overpairs. If there is no resistance you can consider your hand likely to be best and bet the turn. As deep as you are there is no fault in folding if UTG shows resistance.

As played I think a pot sized bet into two people shows quite some strength. You can't call this. Either raise to $8, hoping he has overcards (<- this is where you need reads) or fold. Button is of no concern as he is so short that you can't really get away vs. him considering the strength of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get it HU, commit on any flop without an Ace or two broadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would most agree with this when playing 99, TT or JJ. Commit if no aces and only 1 broadway or less?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like PNL says: Out of position = out of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, PNL just paid for itself on this hand. In the OP I mentioned my thinking regarding commitment and whether I wanted to be committed in this spot. I didn't, so I folded to the flop bet.

Here's what my pre-PNL thinking would have been -

Pre-flop - I have a medium-high pair, but I'm OOP. Stacks are pretty deep, so I have good implied odds to call. I call.

Flop - I have an overpair and he's probably just making a standard c-bet - I call.

Turn (4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) - I still have an overpair, and I doubt he has a 6. I check, he bets pot, I call.

River (K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) - ugly river, but the pot's too big to fold now - all-in we go and watch villain flip over AA. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2007, 07:56 PM
 is offline

I think the odds of overcards to TT on flop are about 65%.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:30 PM

you say u didnt want to get in a big pot with 1010, yet you did :-\
if you had 3bet pre-flop, there is a chance you would have gotten away then if he 4bet/pushed, a lot of people will.
if not, then on the flop, you make a standard c-bet, with this draw heavy board, he will likely be raising, now 88/99 will not do this they will be scared of over pairs just like you and call and maybe fold turn.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just like PNL says: Out of position = out of the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, PNL just paid for itself on this hand. In the OP I mentioned my thinking regarding commitment and whether I wanted to be committed in this spot. I didn't, so I folded to the flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice discipline shown in this hand. Not only did you lose a lot less than you were supposed to, but you also gave yourself a chance to stack the player if a T had flopped.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get it HU, commit on any flop without an Ace or two broadway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would most agree with this when playing 99, TT or JJ. Commit if no aces and only 1 broadway or less?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually have a reasonably loose aggressive image, so I tend to get action pretty light. TT is not a bluff for me with an overpair on the board. MP will often look me up. Those are my generic commitment guidelines for those hands given an appropriate SPR. I haven't had a long time to fine tune them because it is PNL based thinking but so far I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't think OP's approach is particularly bad in this specific situation facing an UTG raise, but I'm not turning TT into 22 as a general rule.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 PM

for those 3-betting TT whenever/wherever,

are you comfortable getting it in on xxx boards? how about Jxx boards? b/f-ing on nice boards with TT seems pretty meh to me.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you say u didnt want to get in a big pot with 1010, yet you did :-\

[/ QUOTE ]

????

I folded the flop, so my only contribution to the pot was the preflop call.

[ QUOTE ]
if you had 3bet pre-flop, there is a chance you would have gotten away then if he 4bet/pushed, a lot of people will.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if villain smooth-calls my 3-bet, which he very likely would with position?

[ QUOTE ]
if not, then on the flop, you make a standard c-bet, with this draw heavy board, he will likely be raising, now 88/99 will not do this they will be scared of over pairs just like you and call and maybe fold turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he smooth calls the c-bet because he knows that the low flop didn't hit a pre-flop 3-bettor - my most likely hand is an overpair smaller than his, and he just keeps feeding me enough rope to hang myself...