Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Ultra-deep 0.5/1 6max: FD rivers set OOP

Button is a maniac with cca 80/35/3 stats. Made some strikingly ultraaggro plays like when he b3b QQxx preflop vs. 3 opps (I folded winning KKJ9s) or raising all-in w/ Q987 vs. pf raiser on QQT board (I stacked him $150 w/ tens full). He bets a lot and takes down pots often. Half an hour ago, he started building his stack on a suckout (all-in on turn w/ trip aces ten kicker vs. aces full, rivered ten as the only overcard) and took a couple of medium pots on nuts since.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $102
UTG+1: $126.05
Hero: $508.80
Button: $314.70
SB: $17.55
BB: $133.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $19.5</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($60, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $35</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($130, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $48</font>, Hero calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($226, 2 players)
Hero ?

Effective stack: $212.20

Comments/Your line?
Old 01-16-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Ultra-deep 0.5/1 6max: FD rivers set OOP

Tough spot and this type of decision is the reason the margin for error is soo thin.

I'd be inclined to check the river. I see no reason to bet because he is only calling if he has you beat and I don't think he laying down any flush. AAA seems fairly likely, but I doubt he lays this down if you bet the river. If he pots the river- I would imagine you would be forced to make a crying call. You could lay this down on the river because you aren't pot committed. Tough spot I'd like to see the results on this one.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:35 PM

I like a Check call,

Aagainst someone this aggro his range here is huge. a 80/35 is repoping AA pre almost always so AA is unlikely in his range, he has aces up here alot (you check to me on the button i have 2 pair ill make a bet just for the sake of it type thing), sometimes air/single ace, missed [censored] diamonds, sometimes he has hearts, 45 is possible i guess but very unlikely IMO.
Given he is a maniac when you check the third heart to him on the river you know he is just itching to represent, and is probably too stupid to take his free showdown with 2 pair.

If he happened to back into a flush or has a wierdly played 45 then so be it, but his river betting/bluffing range his huge enough that your ahead pretty often IMO so let him bluff at it and call up to a pot size bet.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:44 PM

He doesn't sound like a complete maniac, neither of the plays you describe are necessarily bad. If he is a very aggressive player to whom you are having trouble adjusting, then I would check and throw up if he bets. If he is truly a maniac then I would check and call if he bets.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't sound like a complete maniac, neither of the plays you describe are necessarily bad. If he is a very aggressive player to whom you are having trouble adjusting, then I would check and throw up if he bets. If he is truly a maniac then I would check and call if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Beware of the apparent maniacs who strangely enough seem to always have valuable hands when they commit a lot of money.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:52 AM

I never said he was an idiot, I just said he was a maniac. This is not synonymous for me, although heavily corelated. While I take sahaquje's point, he already put his money in on AAxx board w/ unsupported ace which is not that valuable a hand.
I also ruled out AAxx as he did not raise preflop having two opportunities.

No results yet but as noone wants to bet, I can tell you that I checked and Button bet $71.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM

i bet instead of him being a maniac, you are a nit.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i bet instead of him being a maniac, you are a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You won all my money because I only play AAKKds (I once saw the hand on a poker book cover) and AAAA (I figure that to be the best hand avaiable). But as I misclicked and found myself in the hand, I thank you for bumping the thread so that I could get more helpful responses than your briliant one-liner.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button is a maniac with cca 80/35/3 stats. Made some strikingly ultraaggro plays like when he b3b QQxx preflop vs. 3 opps (I folded winning KKJ9s) or raising all-in w/ Q987 vs. pf raiser on QQT board (I stacked him $150 w/ tens full). He bets a lot and takes down pots often. Half an hour ago, he started building his stack on a suckout (all-in on turn w/ trip aces ten kicker vs. aces full, rivered ten as the only overcard) and took a couple of medium pots on nuts since.

Poker Stars
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $102
UTG+1: $126.05
Hero: $508.80
Button: $314.70
SB: $17.55
BB: $133.75

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $4.5</font>, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $19.5</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($60, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $35</font>, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($130, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $48</font>, Hero calls.

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($226, 2 players)
Hero ?

Effective stack: $212.20

Comments/Your line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your description, I hate check-call on the flop. You know Villain is going to bet if you check given your description, so you should check-raise (hoping to win the flop) or lead. Check-fold might be a bit weak, but OK if you are patient enough to find a better opportunity.

My preference would be to lead. Then when the Button calls with his non-nut flush draw, if a diamond falls on the flop or turn, you check-raise and stack him.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given your description, I hate check-call on the flop. You know Villain is going to bet if you check given your description, so you should check-raise (hoping to win the flop) or lead. Check-fold might be a bit weak, but OK if you are patient enough to find a better opportunity.

My preference would be to lead. Then when the Button calls with his non-nut flush draw, if a diamond falls on the flop or turn, you check-raise and stack him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I can bet this facing pf reraiser who can easily have AAxx but I admit I could c/r once he folds. But what hands (Button) are good enough to bet into two pf raisers and not good enough to call the c/r? I saw him to go all the way with good but vulnerable hand.
Anyway, if it were heads-up and you bet and Button raises, is it instafold, instacall or do you examine stack sizes expecting good implied odds?