Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Passive tilt problem

Background:

I have been a poker pro at mid stakes NLHE for about 1.5y now and so far it's been going good for me and I now have a healthy bankroll for the limits I play. I'm 26y old and just decided to settle down in my home town where my cost of living is going to see a significant increase soon after moving out from my parents. If a run anything but terrible my poker incomes should easy covers but lately something strange has happened to me.

Every time I go out to drink I feel a need of spending the most money as possible it's almost like a addiction. It has not hurt my bankroll yet but but I think is related to my tilt problem. Then I'm sober I don't have too expensive habits.

I often make excuses for my spendings to myself it's not eave a a buy in at 3/6 an so on.

Poker:

This and my last month have been the best months so far in my poker carer and I have a bigger roll on the sites then I use to. Before I always use to withdraw to keep my site bankroll around 10K but I have been playing some 5/10 lately so I thought that I might need a bigger site bankroll.

I now dropped back down to 2/4 and 3/6 after a short time at 5/10. I didn't lose that much playing there (5k) but was even for that period with my winnings at 2/4 - 3/6.

The aggressive tilt:

I have not been a big tilter in the past but it has happened especially at Heads up (my most profitable game by far). If I lose 3-4 buy ins or people are constantly quit after double up I start getting more aggressive. I think that's pretty normal and have improved to not go on a "aggressive tilt".

The passive tilt:

This is very it's get sick and I think it's related to some of the stuff I wrote in my background. I'm not so completive compare to other poker players and see myself as a good loser. I don't have a problem losing if I feel that I'm playing decent.

This has only happened to me in the 6max games and I post a hands to illustrate the problem.

Dealt to Hero [ Qh Ad ]
MWT55 folds.
I11USI0NIST raises [$24 USD]
Hero raises [$81 USD]
astroboy3 folds.
WowRUJoking folds.
I11USI0NIST calls [$57 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6h, 7c, Tc ]
I11USI0NIST checks.
Hero bets [$120 USD]
I11USI0NIST raises [$414 USD]
Hero is all-In.
I11USI0NIST calls [$105 USD]

I don't know why I pushed (or called since he is committed) I tough I could out draw him or something. It was kind of like then people told you as a kid that you can't play with a fire but then you did it anyway then no one saw you.

I got very angry at myself for doing it and I was thinking of it the hole next day. Last night (the day after) I did similar things but a few times in a row.

I feel like [censored] now it's not so much the money but more the knowledge of that I'm capable of doing stuff like this.

Have anyone experienced similar stuff or have any suggestions what I can do to avoid this.

Any SERIOUS comments are welcome
Old 10-26-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Passive tilt problem

so what you're saying is that tilt causes you to act irrationally. you had no reason to call an ai with aq but you were tilted and said fk it. this is a common tendency and you should stop the bleeding immediately before the irrationality becomes habitual.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM

That's right then I get into this mode I'm always trying to find a hand that I could beat. I don't think of ranges and if I find one hand I beat I call. I made this call I was about even for then session and I didn't force the action on any tables. So I wouldn't consider myself on a classic tilt.

Before I use to rate my own play after each session and make scores from 1-10 in the categorise: play, Tilt and Table selection. My aim each week was to beat the last week score in that sheet. I thinking it helped me and don't know why I quit with it.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM

This is exactly why i cannot ever play NL.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Hey man,
If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the exact same situation. Urge to spend money justifying it by saying it's not even a buyin etc. etc..

In fact, I did the same thing like in the AQ hand you posted. I had exactly AQ and of course ran into AA when I made this play against a player who'd been raising a lot of hands in position.

Every time, I start a session I tell myself to not make those mistakes, but I make them anyway. I've been doing this for a week and it's been a nice downhill slide. I don't know if it's tilt / boredom or a combination of both.

At the lower limits, you need to curb your creativity, not try to bluff/represent hands and just play very very basic TAG ABC poker. Sometimes this can lead to boredom and then you do something like push with AQ, especially if you haven't caught any hands in awhile.

Other thing is when you're coming off a heater when you won 5 buyins every day for 15 days straight, you tend to expect that every session. Then when reality sets in, puts you on a subtle form of tilt. You're thinking to yourself, "I haven't even made 3 buyins tonight" and then you start making moves. Before you know it, you're down in the hole.

If you've been playing too much poker and grinding it out, you may just be tired and may need to take a break. I withdrew some portion of my bankroll, and I'm going to take a break and drop down a limit and start grinding when I get back. Maybe give that a try. Good luck to you.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:26 AM

Your online poker ego is showing up when you drink. You are good at poker but most people don't care about this so you try to make up for it. Just get over the fact that the worlds greatest poker player is not the same as the Super Bowl MPV.