Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 PM

Default 3-betting medium strength hands on the button and OOP

Alright I've been confused about this for a while..

Scenario 1: You are on the button. CO is a decent player, he is positionally aware, meaning his raising range is wide from the CO, but his 3-bet calling range OOP is narrow. This is typical for most decent players I think, and lots of people on here.

Villain also knows that you know he is positionally aware, which makes it more likely that you have a propensity to 3-bet lighter, so his 3-bet calling range opens up a bit.

Okay anyways, to the crux of the matter, what do you do with medium hands against this player on the button? Let's say, top pair value hands that aren't obvious 3-bet like AJo, A10, QK, mid pairs like 66-99, and throw in mid-suited connectors. Is it better to *call and let the position work for you? (I think I heard this in a book somewhere and I'm not sure if it's right) Or are we 3-betting because we know he's raising wide but not calling a 3-bet wide? I can't really get my head around what's better.. I guess meta-game I can't just be 3-betting with a narrow range so I should be 3-betting with these types of hands.. but then if I am 3-betting looking for a fold then I might as well 3-bet ATC?

Alright OOP with mid strength hands to a button opener:

- same assumptions, villain uses position, knows you don't like to play OOP, he knows that you know that he's positionally aware, and vice versa, so 3-bet calling ranges for him in position are definitely wider than last example where villain is OOP.

Do you 3-bet hands like AJ, QK, SC's, mid pairs or take a flop OOP? Again both plays have merits.. on one hand, I don't wanna play OOP with a lot of these hands, so 3-bet and take the aggressor role in the hand? On the other hand I don't wanna play a big pot OOP with a meh hand so call and see a flop and be creative post flop knowing he c-bets a lot? What is the better line here against the TAG/constant c-bettor/positionally aware/2+2 type??
Old 09-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: 3-betting medium strength hands on the button and OOP

I like calling with big-card hands (AJo, AT) that can be risky (aka if your ace is dominated) to keep the pot smaller, and keep hands like A9, JQ, etc in the hand. I'm more inclined to 3bet KQ than AJ. I'd say KQ is 50/50 3b/call, AJ is more like 20/80 depending on the player LDO.

SC's/mid PP's (lower is better, I hate being in a 3bet pot w/ 9's), I'm more likely to 3b than to CC. I don't feel like he's got a monster openning from the CO, so I'll have to call down too much with 2nd pair and the like when he has me beat, and can't always hope to get paid off when I hit the straight or w/e. It's easy to fold to a 4bet, and to cbet/fold on a bad flop.

I'm almost never calling OOP to 3bets w/ hands like AJ/KQ/SC's.

I'm more inclined to CC mid SC's to an UTG tightish opener than to a CO opener, since I'm more likely to get paid off if I hit trips/straight/etc.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:35 PM

wrt btn - I much prefer calling the medium hands and suited connectors etc and 3betting monsters and trash. OOP I coldcall much less, 3betting or folding much more.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:56 PM

i 3bet some of the hands i wouldn't call with and all of the hands i would call with, unless there's a fish yet to act that i want in the pot more than i want to rr
Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wrt btn - I much prefer calling the medium hands and suited connectors etc and 3betting monsters and trash. OOP I coldcall much less, 3betting or folding much more.

[/ QUOTE ]