Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Stars 100. Overpair on paired board.

What hands bluff here that wouldn't have raised the flop or folded the turn?? Also don't you think you are missing loads of value from PPs and spewing when a flush card hits the river after you checked?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:45 PM

I didn't see the two hearts. But to be honest, what can you put the villian on assuming he isn't bluffing. A 7 or a flushdraw, I think not raising with a pair is terrible here on the villians part if he has a pair. So I think you have to assign the percentages here on what you think he has-flushdraw,7,bluff and go forward. You have a hand that may be good, but is vulnerable, so I'd just rather keep the pot small.

If I were villian and bluffing, and I put you on a range and given on if I felt you were capable of laying down an over pair. I would assume I Check call flop, lead river. Or make some sort of overly large bet when a flush card comes.

For the record, the post never made it to the turn.

And also, I'd don't think betting is missing value from pps, because you don't know if your paying someone off or protecting your hand. That looks like a spew to me. I'd rather protect my stack and keep the pot small.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the record, the post never made it to the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated on the third post... hero bets 200 on the turn and villain raises to 500.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see the two hearts. But to be honest, what can you put the villian on assuming he isn't bluffing. A 7 or a flushdraw, I think not raising with a pair is terrible here on the villians part if he has a pair. So I think you have to assign the percentages here on what you think he has-flushdraw,7,bluff and go forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

During the hand I thought that villains range is 7x, flush/straight draw, smallish pocket pair or bluff. Agaist this range I wasn't willing to give up the pot on the turn since the board is so good for a bluff. I called his turn raise planning to re-eval river.

River is 3. So board showing 77423 villain instapushes and hero folds. Afterwards villain claimed he had A7. I'm not sure if I believe that since that river card should slow villain down unless he has the flush himself.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Check behind, bet if checked to, call a river bet.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

villain instapushes and hero folds. Afterwards villain claimed he had A7. I'm not sure if I believe that since that river card should slow villain down unless he has the flush himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
there's 1290 in the pot and he has 860 left, no space to slow down because of the flush card if he has trips.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB is any good, i agree with Gobbo.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM

I don't understand why people would bet and fold to a raise when you just as easily check and call a river bet (or bet the river) and see a showdown with a showdownable hand.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

villain instapushes and hero folds. Afterwards villain claimed he had A7. I'm not sure if I believe that since that river card should slow villain down unless he has the flush himself.

[/ QUOTE ]
there's 1290 in the pot and he has 860 left, no space to slow down because of the flush card if he has trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you do understand that by pushing the river he turns his hand into a bluff? Most competent players don't call that riverbet without hand that beats trips.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If BB is any good, i agree with Gobbo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please explain why? I totally agree with this if the board was like TT7 and hero has JJ etc., but in this case hero is most likely ahead and villains range is mostly smaller pocket pairs or flush draws. I don't see why hero should give a free card.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why people would bet and fold to a raise when you just as easily check and call a river bet (or bet the river) and see a showdown with a showdownable hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
avoid givin a free card to a hand like one over and a flush draw and avoid beeing bluffed out on the river by if (or if not with a big bet) a scarecard hits.