Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 AM

Default When Do You Incorporate Table Image to your game.

A response to a comment on a post I made that mentioned table image got me to thinking... at what point do you start to consider it in the way you play?

I notice that when I sit down at a table and play tight for the first 40 hands or so, I usually tend to get less action, not so much at .01/.02 but more so at .05/.10 and more noticeably at .10/.20.

My question is this... When do you start to consider table image in your game? I would think that you would want to pick this up early as possible, because learning to manipulate this facet could be expensive as you move up in stakes and there is more money on the table.

I am beginning to think that even at micro limits it should be a consideration. When I bring my tight A game to the table, I can sometimes see the fear in the folds from my early position raise after 4 or so orbits (ok exageration but good for dinner theatre), when there are several players who have been at the table as long or longer than I have and sometimes I can successfully exploit it. Which makes me consider did the lemmings really know something is up or is it just none of them had a hand?

Do you notice similar patterns? What are your thoughts?

Rig
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: When Do You Incorporate Table Image to your game.

I don't think opponents at micro limits pay enough attention to your game to make it worth thinking about table image.

I'd contend that someone playing at micros would see better results from working on the more fundamental issues in their game rather than wasting analysis on table image.

I wouldn't worry about table image until you have a good game with no major leaks and you're playing at a level where opponents firstly notice how you play (which is tough anyway if you're a tight player) and secondly care about how you play.

It's going to worthwhile considering it if you plan to play beyond micro stakes games but it's probably counter-productive to work on it at .05/.1.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM

I also think it's hard to tell at micros if people are folding because they fear you or just because they have rags. If you join a very loose table with lots of multiway pots but then suddenly have everyone folding to your raises time after time, you can try and alter your image.

Unfortunately most of the time it's hard to tell. The games I play in are often fairly tight and somewhat aggressive. They tend to play this way before and after I sit down, but nobody shows any respect to the tightest players, so I'm guessing they're just tight and play their hand without thinking about what others have.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:05 PM

So last night I was playing a 6-max 15BB chall and started at .25/.50. I was TOTALLY card dead and after 50 hands I was like 6/6/??. I then pick up TT and 3bet the UTG raiser second to act. The button calls 3 cold and the both blinds come along..LOL. This happened again when I had KK an orbit or 2 later.

In the micros, I always suggest not bluffing in -EV spots, especially opening light preflop if 1. your opponents never fold anyhow pre or post-flop and 2. your post flop play is marginal.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A response to a comment on a post I made that mentioned table image got me to thinking... at what point do you start to consider it in the way you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

When it becomes clear that my opponents are making adjustments to my play. It really doesn't happen too often at the micros. Maybe one player at a table might be taking shots at you if he thinks you're tight, but that's about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you notice similar patterns? What are your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I've noticed such patterns. I think it's selective memory.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM

image matter when your are playing against those who notice what you do ... this can happen at any level

if you are playing a 5c-10c table that features players who notice ... move - your table selection sucks

find tables that suck at any level ... if there are no good games - look at another level (or site) ... this goes for any limit
Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
image matter when your are playing against those who notice what you do ... this can happen at any level

if you are playing a 5c-10c table that features players who notice ... move - your table selection sucks

find tables that suck at any level ... if there are no good games - look at another level (or site) ... this goes for any limit

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you're focusing more on improving in tougher games than profit of course. Or playing off a bonus or something.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM

i don't know, i think even down to .01-.02 some are def paying attention. just look at this forum. we get a lot of posters that post hands from that level looking for advice. that shows that you definitely have people starting down there/here due to some other reason that just being a bad player. true most people aren't going to pay that much attention, but i also think that generalizing is right either. just my op.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:52 PM

i think some people do pay attention but they have short memories and most arent very good at using it to their advantage and if they do adjust they might over adjust which is mo monies for you. dont assume that the tighties are paying attention though....but you can check to see if they are multitabling other tables i suppose.

anyway, try raising preflop 3 times in a row...you are so going to get called if you raise again and they wont need a good hand to do it.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't know, i think even down to .01-.02 some are def paying attention. just look at this forum. we get a lot of posters that post hands from that level looking for advice. that shows that you definitely have people starting down there/here due to some other reason that just being a bad player. true most people aren't going to pay that much attention, but i also think that generalizing is right either. just my op.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is an exercise ...

go to pokersitescout.com

count all the 2c-4c and 5c-10c of every site

then count all the 2/4 tables

then count all the 5/10

do this every couple of hours one day

then note how many players are posting questions about each level