Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Draft letter I plan to fax to my congressman soon

good letter.

as Leap Frog mentioned, I would also suggest changing paragraph two. How about

It is disturbing that the first response some have to an obviously desired service is to attempt prohibition, save for the glaring exceptions for horse racing and lotteries, while at the same time using hypocritical arguments for the ban.

--Dan
Old 01-18-2007, 09:02 PM

what reply did you get from MI? who was it?

i think we need to promote this becoming a question every politician is going to have to answer.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:01 AM

Is there a way 2+2 could hook up with a lobbying tool like capwiz to make an email form like this easy for anyone to forward to their congressmen.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 AM

I quit reading after this statement.

[ QUOTE ]
I am concerned about all the recent attacks on rights and liberties, but the one I want to address today is on-line gambling, and specifically on-line poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you show me and your congressman the document that gives you "rights" regarding online poker, the two of us might read the rest.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:23 AM

permafrost:

Last I checked, it was still true that anything not made specifically against the law, was legal.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:31 AM

nice work here.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
permafrost:

Last I checked, it was still true that anything not made specifically against the law, was legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pardner!! We struck it rich!! We start us a nice ranch in Dallas (always wanted to be a rich Texan!), get ourselves a big place on that newfangled internets and deal the cards! We call it TOPS (Texas Online Poker Station!!), get a pert little gal named Debbie to show off the place (oh the things she could do in Dallas), have a chuckwagon theme or somethin' fancy for them French dudes!!

Anyways, it's real good that you seen it was all legal and proper, cuz we got cattle to go with the hat now!! We are there sooner! Online poker right here in TEXAS!!

Dang, we better get us a trademark or such, so no slimy rustler steals this here plan! Do we have to cut in OP since he helped get this drive agoin'? I can put in 50K for 2/3 of the works. If you get more real fine ideas, keep 'em comin'!!
Old 01-20-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I am concerned about all the recent attacks on rights and liberties, but the one I want to address today is on-line gambling, and specifically on-line poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you show me and your congressman the document that gives you "rights" regarding online poker, the two of us might read the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am refering to rights such as due process. There is a little doccument that covers it, but nothing terribly official....
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am refering to rights such as due process. There is a little doccument that covers it, but nothing terribly official....

[/ QUOTE ]

"rights such as due process", "doccument" ?? Not what I wanted to see and I suppose I could be getting leveled here, but just in case, I read your post fully and...

Writing a letter to your congressman is nice but stick to reality and skip the myths.

Poker is covered by general anti-gambling laws that the majority passed years ago. Online poker players are in a serious minority position and can't easily change the majority opinion.

We don't have rights and liberties to play online. You generally can't gamble lawfully unless your jurisdiction tells you how, where, who. Same way with driving, fishing, drugs, flying etc., the majority sets the rules.

The gambling laws aren't "dubiously worded" or not "clear", you are repeating myth.

I may not know what you mean by "glaring carve outs" but you may mean the language about lawful racing in the UIGEA. Remember it has to be unlawful and therefore covered before it could be made a "carve out". IOW, if the language was that UIGEA covered all unlawful gambling except unlawful racing, that would be a "carve out".

The regulation thoughts are good and may be the thrust of your letter, but they get lost in the shuffle. (I suggest the US won't do anything at the Federal level to regulate online poker until various States make it lawful and request uniform national rules.)

You asked for thoughts, so don't blame me!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this:

Ninth Amendment to the United States Constitution