Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM

Default You never know where you are

More days of bad cards, bad play and bad luck. I can't get rid of the blues, but the whites seem to be going pretty fast. (And grays and browns, whatever the lowest denomination chips.)

Something I'm seeing a lot is the most incredibly passive play. Sometimes it's scary, most times okay, and all times it's weird.

Lately more and more people are playing big hands so passively that when they turn over the cards, you have to do everything you can to keep from saying, "what??? You gotta be kidding me! Uh, at what point did you think you're hand was no good?"

Several times I've been playing something like A9 on the button strongly, only to have the CO turn over AK. No raises, no reason to think my A9 isn't good.

One time, I hit my straight on the river, K high. I turn it over and the lady directly to my right turns over AQ and says, "mine's bigger." Huh??? You had AQ all this time and never raised?

Believe it or not, I saw a lady call the river with a Royal, a few days ago. Her I did have to ask, "did you think you were beat?"

This is happening more and more. People are so afraid of being sucked out on and content to just win the pot, whatever is in it, that you never know where you are in a hand. Raises mean nothing in small stakes games, so they just sit tight. It can make playing in these games like walking through a mine field. You not only have to dodge a lot of outs from the loose players, but then your hand might not even be good if you make it.

The one good thing is they don't charge you the maximum for playing your hand. The times when they will be on the losing side, you are charging them. The difference can be seen as profit. How much if any is an open question?

CJ
Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Re: You never know where you are

Just say 'Nice Hand Maam.' It's all you can do, and they will feel good about the way that they played it.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:42 PM

A few days ago I had KJo in the BB. Three or four players limped in and I checked. The flop came K high. I bet and only a new early position player called. I bet the turn, he called. I bet the river, and he raised. I figure two pair, since there was no straight or flush on the board. I called. He turns over AA.

In the last month I have seen a number of players slow playing AA like this.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:48 PM

LP game a few months ago. 4/8 i think.

i limp early with 33. like 6 limpers.

flop comes 23Q. i bet some folks call, old lady calls.

turn 6. old lady bets out, i raise, all fold. she calls.

turn 8. she check calls and flips over 45 for the stone cold nuts.

i ask her if she feared i had two jokers in my hand.

her response:

"well i just got back from playing stud, so i dont know ok ill stop playing like that"

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2007, 01:06 PM

OP I have to agree with you 1000%. I have found the low limit games are growing considerably passive and weak to the point of absurdity like you said.

I was in a game the other day with two older ladies who would not bet anything under two pair. They would c/c anything less and never raise. If you are observant you can start to pick this up and it's no big deal. Needless to say they both lost.

I found the game to be "trap city." So like you say it was hard to tell where you're at because nobody has the guts to take the lead for fear of all the people sitting in the weeds.

In a way, I think people at low limits are trying to hard not to "lose" that makes the game this way. They are trying to save bets and minimize losing. People are not trying to maximize EV. They are playing "sure thing" poker, but "sure thing poker" only works for a short while, until observant opponents know what they are doing and stop calling their bets. Then they start c/c with big hands, since no one will call their bet, and they stand to make more by c/c. That's when you start to see some ridiculousness like what you posted.

When I see players like this, I usually want to boot them out of the game with a baseball bat. They are usually old tight people. But, just try to sit behind them so you dont have to act before they do. This always helps. Or, leave the game. Find one where people are betting and raising on nothing and then play like they do.

-J
Old 03-12-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few days ago I had KJo in the BB. Three or four players limped in and I checked. The flop came K high. I bet and only a new early position player called. I bet the turn, he called. I bet the river, and he raised. I figure two pair, since there was no straight or flush on the board. I called. He turns over AA.

In the last month I have seen a number of players slow playing AA like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last week, I had KJs in EP and nine players saw the flop. I won with a flush on the river and pulled a monster pot beating AA UTG. This is an example of how you profit when they play this way, but it does increase the variance a lot.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:49 PM

I don't complain about this...They're losing money... It's frustrating to see sometimes, but once you identify players like this, I start slowing down especially with a hand like top pair where they just call with an over pair or AK, etc.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an example of how you profit when they play this way, but it does increase the variance a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how it increases the variance if there's less bets going into the pots so you win or lose less moneys.

Recently at 4/8:

Fish (who recently beat me with a two paired 43o in a raised pot) openlimps in MP, I raise on the button with JJ.

Headsup, a raggedy flop. He check/calls. Turn another rag, he bets out. I am incredulous and steamed "what? Another two pair?" so I just call down. He says "one pair" and flips over queens.

I am upset that I am beat by both trash and underplayed legitimate hands, so I leave to take a puke break.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't complain about this...They're losing money... It's frustrating to see sometimes, but once you identify players like this, I start slowing down especially with a hand like top pair where they just call with an over pair or AK, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are fit/fold type players and very weak-tight, then yes, I agree. If they are the type though that play the same exact way w/ 2nd or 3rd pair, then you must keep pressing in certain situations for value.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are fit/fold type players and very weak-tight, then yes, I agree. If they are the type though that play the same exact way w/ 2nd or 3rd pair, then you must keep pressing in certain situations for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

And to answer Man of Means question, this is how it increases the variance. Do you value bet or check it down? If you bet and they have a bigger hand, you lose, and if you check it down and you have the better hand, you don't get paid. That's how it increases the variance.