Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (8/7) ($3,000 NL)

UTG is the new button.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is the new button.

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
She's in the BB heads-up which is basically the most powerful position you can be in (you have position pre and post flop, you get good odds to call most raises, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

BB is the new HU button as well.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Phil raising UTG with horrible hands, like J2? Obviously with how ESPN has to select hands to show, we don't know how often this occurred, but I would think raising UTG is always a risky bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG raises are more respected, especially from a nit like Hellmuth. So, tight players can occasionally make a play from UTG based on that piece of information that his opponents know.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't Phil raising UTG with horrible hands, like J2? Obviously with how ESPN has to select hands to show, we don't know how often this occurred, but I would think raising UTG is always a risky bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG raises are more respected, especially from a nit like Hellmuth. So, tight players can occasionally make a play from UTG based on that piece of information that his opponents know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil's style is to min raise junk from every seat, then tiny bet the flop, which combined with his image and talk works really well early in tourneys against bad opponents. The bizarre thing is that he was still doing it with an M of like 3-4 which is just so bad it makes you wonder how he's won so many tourneys.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, and I'm probably a bit in the wrong with what I'm saying and thinking but I just remember that hand, and him getting reraised by AK and getting visibly frustrated by the whole thing but I just figured, considering his position, that something like that is bound to happen. I don't really know where I'm going with this necessarily, hehe.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil's style is to min raise junk from every seat, then tiny bet the flop, which combined with his image and talk works really well early in tourneys against bad opponents. The bizarre thing is that he was still doing it with an M of like 3-4 which is just so bad it makes you wonder how he's won so many tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, yeah, that's right. I guess I've never noticed these things, but it was apparent in this most recent case of him being on TV. I agree, it's probably fair to say his style in doing that kinda stuff is unorthodox, but someway or another, it has worked for him. Who knows...