Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 AM

Default DeFazio\'s Reply

Just got this. At least it's direct (tl;dr version - he's anti-gaming):

Thanks for your message in support of the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007 introduced by Barney Frank. I appreciate hearing from you but regret that we disagree on this issue.

As you know the bill would create an exemption to the ban on online gambling for properly licensed operators, allowing Americans to lawfully bet online. I have never been a fan of gambling, but I am concerned that Internet gambling is particularly problematic because it is largely unregulated by federal or state officials, fails to prevent children from accessing sites, presents hard to track opportunities for organized crime and money launderers, and is particularly addictive. I would particularly recommend to you the June 11, 2006 New York Times Magazine article "The Gambler; The Hold 'Em Hold Up" for an extraordinary story on campus Internet gambling.

In 1999, the National Gambling Impact Study Commission recommended that Congress outlaw the financial transactions that facilitate Internet gambling. Over the years, I have generally supported such legislation.

Internet gambling is more of a problem than most other forms of gambling given the unlimited instant access virtually anywhere by anyone with access to a computer or wireless device pre-empting reasonable state restrictions protecting minors or others. That said, I have opposed even the creation of the Oregon lottery due to my concerns with gambling.

It is important to note however that online gambling is still allowed so long as gambling is legal in the state in which you are gambling and the computers that are placing and receiving wagers are in the same state.

Thanks again for writing and please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rep. Peter DeFazio
Fourth District, OREGON
Old 06-21-2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: DeFazio\'s Reply

Any thought to replying with regard to supporting the Wexler bill? Tell the Congressman that we too have concerns about the lottery as a revenue enhancement through poor people, but that skill games should not be considered the same. Give people a choice, not be a surrogate-parent.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:52 PM

everyone that writes these guys keeps getting the same "it's unregulated huff huff" argument...maybe next letter should be bolded and caps locked "THIS IS FOR REGULATION" of illegal, unregulated, addictive gambling. social services will be put in place.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 PM

I believe the prima poker network use to be audited by one of the big 4 audit firms (cant remember I think Earnst & Young). They checked to make sure each card was just as probable to come as any other card in the deck. This was post Arthur Anderson so these firms know they have A LOT to lose. If that is considered unregulated then all of the stocks being sold publicly are "unregulated" too.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:49 PM

well, I give him props for being straight forward and honest on his stance.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give him props for actually knowing the friggin' law...

[ QUOTE ]
It is important to note however that online gambling is still allowed so long as gambling is legal in the state in which you are gambling and the computers that are placing and receiving wagers are in the same state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems too many people in very high offices don't get this.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:23 PM

Yes, his knowing the law can be a plus.
Now, repy to him that there are other online INTERSTATE Wagering games that are 'legal' as well.

These are 'SKILL' games are available via AOL Games, MSN Games and YAHOO! Games.

The host company is www.worldwinner.com based in Newton, Mass. Included here are card games.

Ask him to simply support including poker with the 'SKILL' games Solitaire, Hearts, Spades, Free Cell and the others.

obg

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give him props for actually knowing the friggin' law...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems too many people in very high offices don't get this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-24-2007, 10:24 PM

Not surprising since he's cosponsored several Leach/Goodlatte bills to ban online gambling.