View Poll Results: Is this trade legit?
Yes (Stupid, but legit) 3 50.00%
No (Save the idiot from himself) 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Likelihood of undefeated Pats

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After watching Brett Favre GIVE the football game to Chicago the other night, anyone betting on an undefeated season from any team is clearly nuts...

[/ QUOTE ]

How incredibly irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Football is rigged LDO.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People don't remember the '72 Dolphins because they won the SB, they remember because they were undefeated.

[/ QUOTE ]
well, if you hurt your chances of winning the SB and end up falling short in the playoffs, you won't be remembered alongside the 72 dolphins, even with a 16-0 reg season

[/ QUOTE ]
They'll be more remembered than a 14-2 season and SB win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone paid attention to the Pats over the past several years? Have they ever said or done anything to imply that they are concerned with anything other than winning the Super Bowl? If they go 15-0 and have home field and everything they could possibly have locked up, I think it's almost guaranteed that Mr. Brady will be out after the 1st quarter of that last game. They will do everything they can to protect their starters for the playoffs.

Sure, deep down they may all want it, but everything about this team over the past several years points to them subjugating meaningless stats to the ultimate goal of winning a championship.

And yes, that's what an undefeated regular season is, meaningless. It's fun for the fans and for ESPN, but not the point of an NFL season. The fact that people even suggest that they would or should knowingly decrease their chances of winning a SB just to go 16-0 is not only antithetical to the Patriots philosophy, but the point of sports altogether, and a byproduct of the overhyped entertainment-like circus professional sports has become.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at your arbitrary definition of what is meaningless in sports. Like there is some super ridiculous mega value to winning the SB. Many things in football are "meaningful" and winning a whole bunch of Super Bowls is certainly high up on the list. But sacrificing 4-5% of your chance to win the SB for a 70-80% chance to go undefeated should be an absolute no-brainer. Only ridiculous black/white, all-or-nothing thinking could distract you from this.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can't this just be figured out mathematically? Somebody with good NFL line-setting knowledge should be able to do this easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. What do you think of Dallas chances, since they have a weaker schedule?

@DAL - 50% to win
@MIA - 80% to win
WAS - 80% to win
@IND - 50% to win
@BUF - 85% to win
PHI - 80% to win
@BAL - 60% to win
PIT - 70% to win
NYJ - 80% to win
MIA - 90% to win
@NYG - 60% to win

= 1.97%

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you homer that up real good, and make them 60-40 against Dal/Indy, and tack on an extra 5% to the rest, you can creep up to OPs 20-1 (5%). If I could stand the variance of betting against this, I'd definitely take OP up.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
there is some hilarious analysis going on in this thread, especially from tereg. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Sporting Events.

[/ QUOTE ]

His earlier work included Treatise on the Proliferation of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Secondary Treatise on Interplanetary Economics. Both are engaging bodies of work...
Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone paid attention to the Pats over the past several years? Have they ever said or done anything to imply that they are concerned with anything other than winning the Super Bowl? If they go 15-0 and have home field and everything they could possibly have locked up, I think it's almost guaranteed that Mr. Brady will be out after the 1st quarter of that last game. They will do everything they can to protect their starters for the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems you aren't paying attention to the Patriots over the past several years or even what has been said in this thread.

From above:

Bellichick doesn't subscibe to the "sit your players" theory. Hasn't he always played his stars in previous years?

In the last game of the 2004 season, Brady played well into the 4th quarter despite the Patriots being locked into the 2 seed.

In the last game of the 2003 season, Brady played well into the 4th quarter despite the Patriots being up 28-0 at halftime against the Bills (they won 31-0). I forget if they had the #1 locked up. A Patriots loss and Chiefs win would have resulted in both teams being 13-3 with a 10-2 conference reacord (no heads-up game). They had a bye locked up.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is some hilarious analysis going on in this thread, especially from tereg. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Sporting Events.

[/ QUOTE ]

His earlier work included Treatise on the Proliferation of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Secondary Treatise on Interplanetary Economics. Both are engaging bodies of work...

[/ QUOTE ]

After days of self-deliberation, I've decided to stop while I'm behind and go sit in the corner.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After watching Brett Favre GIVE the football game to Chicago the other night, anyone betting on an undefeated season from any team is clearly nuts...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Pats are good, but no team is above beating themselves vs. another NFL team. Pats didn't exactly look like 16-0 material against Cleveland.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Pats are good, but no team is above beating themselves vs. another NFL team. Pats didn't exactly look like 16-0 material against Cleveland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Green Bay playing like ass is independent of the Pats.

Yes, the Pats did not look amazing against Cleveland. They won 34-17 for pete's sake. I mean, are you trying to make my argument for me?

I've already said I think it's around 4% or so. I'm a homer, so it may be lower, but it's certainly possible, and they have the team to do it.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:47 PM

i wanna bet that the pats do go undefeated this year. i want odds (and obviously i'll do an escrow 'cause i have like 5 posts).
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i wanna bet that the pats do go undefeated this year. i want odds (and obviously i'll do an escrow 'cause i have like 5 posts).

[/ QUOTE ]

only way someone would do this is without an escrow, no ones gonna tie up 5k to win 100 on this forum