Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 09:32 PM

Default How\'s the Monte Carlo in Vegas???

I am heading out for a pharmacy convention but all the hotels with the convention rates were booked. The Monte Carlo was available.

How are the rooms and how is the poker room. Looks half-way decent on-line.

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: How\'s the Monte Carlo in Vegas???

Poker player reviews on the Monte Carlo poker room.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 PM

The hotel is good. Much better than the Luxor, better than Flamingo, not in the same class as the Wynn.

The poker room is attractive. Paintings on the wall add a nice touch.

But when I was there the high hand jackpots and mini-blinds in the low limit hold 'em games seemed to bring out local rocks in numbers. That was a couple years ago, though, that might have changed.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 AM

No, that's a pretty good description of MC. I like the staff and the local regulars are pleasant enough. But the games are typically mega dull, particularly during freeroll qualifying periods. Last night was an exception...had a rockin' game with 3 incredible donator fish not afraid to push pre-flop with A9o and ready to pull another $200 out. We were used to $300 pots pre-flop. I lost my stack on QQ vs 22. Got it back from the same guy an hour later on KK vs AK all-in preflop for >$300 each.

You will find nothing but 2/4, NL1/2, and sometimes 3/6. And come in with the understanding they have some odd rules and figure you're going to break their unusual rules at a pretty regular pace through the night as you discover them one by one.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:10 AM

apparently overrun with white supremacists
Old 10-14-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
apparently overrun with white supremacists

[/ QUOTE ]

TLR [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM

I have stayed a dozen times because they treat me so well. Only once did I not like the room due to the pressence of a flock of turds next door. I then realized how thin the walls are at Monte Carlo. Also, they used to have the train to Bellagio, where I play most of the time, so I had to abandon my old haunt and move "uptown." I did play poker there a few months ago and it was pretty dull but very well run. You could do a lot worse. Watch out for nazis. Apparently there's one who likes the place.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:31 AM

I stayed at the Monte Carlo from the 1st-5th of this month. The hotel was nice, the walls in the rooms are very thin, but not a big deal. Rooms were good size, bathroom was nice. It was well worth the price we got for it. A little line at check in-but that's no big deal.
There is some noise from the City Centre project right next to it-woke me up at 5 AM every day, but you get used to it. The poker room was a big thumbs down for me, I wasn't impressed with the way it was ran or the size. If your going to stay there-walk over to Bellagio for poker.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 PM

PR is small, nice, soft competition.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Rooms are fine, although when I stayed there last summer I didn't have a clock in my room, which always annoys me.

I like the poker room more than any other on the Strip for the games they spread -- but as others have mentioned, that means 1/2 NL and 2/4 limit. I actually stopped in there this weekend with a friend who plays those games and they actually had a 3/6 HORSE interest list with about six names. We didn't end up staying so I don't know if it ever went, but I was very surprised to see it offered.

I also play most of my table games (pai gow and blackjack when I'm with friends) at Monte Carlo. I just like the atmosphere, for whatever reason.

-McGee