Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Love a girl but there is a dilemma

Ok I know this is probably a subjective decision but I wanted to get input from other smart people on this forum.

If you love a girl and are extremely compatible with her, it is then fair to say that she is "marriage material?" But here is the dilemma, she has an STD. Therefore, if you do commit to sexual relations, which almost everyone does if two people are in love. You will inevitabley get the STD that she has, do you still proceed?

I know that true compatiability is very rare, therefore I do not take this question lightly. Is an STD for the rest of your life worth a "chance" to find someone that you could spend forever with?

Let me also note that I have never been more attracted to someone and I have met a decent amout of girls. I am leaning towards the commitment with the possiblity of getting an STD and having her break up with me in a year or so, but that is the calculated risk.

If you were in a similar situation how would you proceed?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Love a girl but there is a dilemma

Eh, no big deal. Marital problems are even worse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I know this is probably a subjective decision but I wanted to get input from other smart people on this forum.

If you love a girl and are extremely compatible with her, it is then fair to say that she is "marriage material?" But here is the dilemma, she has an STD. Therefore, if you do commit to sexual relations, which almost everyone does if two people are in love. You will inevitabley get the STD that she has, do you still proceed?

I know that true compatiability is very rare, therefore I do not take this question lightly. Is an STD for the rest of your life worth a "chance" to find someone that you could spend forever with?

Let me also note that I have never been more attracted to someone and I have met a decent amout of girls. I am leaning towards the commitment with the possiblity of getting an STD and having her break up with me in a year or so, but that is the calculated risk.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know how I would proceed - but are there not ways to avoid contracting the disease yourself? My first instinct is lifetime partnership including safe-sex (and a hope that a cure will be discovered). This seems better than resigning yourself to getting sick too (additionally - does she feel the same way if she is happy for you to risk getting her disease? If I was her, I think I'd be insisting my true love not get infected also).
Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know how I would proceed - but are there not ways to avoid contracting the disease yourself? My first instinct is lifetime partnership including safe-sex (and a hope that a cure will be discovered). This seems better than resigning yourself to getting sick too (additionally - does she feel the same way if she is happy for you to risk getting her disease? If I was her, I think I'd be insisting my true love not get infected also).

[/ QUOTE ]

Condoms CAN prevent the STD but it is hit or miss. Sometimes it can still go through the condom. Would the best approach to remain abstinent or to just say f.ck it and have sex knowing that I will ultimately get an STD. There is no cure for herpes at this time.

I know that relationships are not all about sex but showing physical affection for each other is definitely an important
aspect especially if you sleep in the same bed.

Remaining abstinent while "waiting for a cure" seems unreasonable.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:25 PM

Could always seal it in Durex, pinhole it. Um.

I dunno, man. Do you love the woman?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could always seal it in Durex, pinhole it. Um.

I dunno, man. Do you love the woman?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I do. She gave her only boyfriend herpes before she found out she had it. So now he has it and she stayed with him for 3 years until I met her. I told her she shouldn't stay with someone because of guilt, she eventually broke up with him.

My deepest fear is that I am with her and get the disease, then a few years down the line we break up and I am left physically and emotionally f.ucked.

I am still strongly considering being with her though.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:37 PM

Give each other hand jobs while you figure it out.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:01 PM

Since you've clarified that it's herpes - if you use a condom only when she has a visible outbreak, your chances of contracting it would actually be very low.

But even if they weren't, it's just not that big a deal. If it's a serious relationship I say just don't worry about it. I'd live with contracting herpes in a long-term relationship, and certainly in a marriage - it's better than the alternatives.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Condoms CAN prevent the STD but it is hit or miss. Sometimes it can still go through the condom. Would the best approach to remain abstinent or to just say f.ck it and have sex knowing that I will ultimately get an STD. There is no cure for herpes at this time.

I know that relationships are not all about sex but showing physical affection for each other is definitely an important

[/ QUOTE ]
Abstinence while waiting for a cure would probably be tough. I dont know if it's pertinent/rude to ask or not, but I'd repeat the question - is she happy with you risking infection?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Abstinence while waiting for a cure would probably be tough. I dont know if it's pertinent/rude to ask or not, but I'd repeat the question - is she happy with you risking infection?

[/ QUOTE ]

She said it is my choice but that she would be with me regardless of sex or not.

My problem is I want sex and I know she does too. It is hard to resist the urge especially because I know I am at the age when my sex drive is at its strongest.