Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 03:44 PM

Default NL$$ how to deal with a short stacker and what can the ss do about it?

So I have been experimenting with shortstacking hu nl over the past few days. I was wondering what someone can do to combat a person that knows how to play 20bbs very well? I have ran into a few problems when people limp a lot but usually they bluff too much and I just take a lot of the hands away postflop. It also seems like its a pain to play when someone minraises every hand, but again, I can just push more and win that way. So, that can someone do to thwart a good short stacked? Also, assuming we figure out something to do about the shortstacker, what can the shortstacker do to combat that strategy? Thanks a lot.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: NL$$ how to deal with a short stacker and what can the ss do about

[ QUOTE ]
So I have been experimenting with shortstacking hu nl over the past few days. I was wondering what someone can do to combat a person that knows how to play 20bbs very well? I have ran into a few problems when people limp a lot but usually they bluff too much and I just take a lot of the hands away postflop. It also seems like its a pain to play when someone minraises every hand, but again, I can just push more and win that way. So, that can someone do to thwart a good short stacked? Also, assuming we figure out something to do about the shortstacker, what can the shortstacker do to combat that strategy? Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I refuse to play 20bb shortstacks, also I highly doubt anyone is going to tell you how to play a shortstack better because everyone hates shortstacks (including me).
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: NL$$ how to deal with a short stacker and what can the ss do about it?

Well what i try to do is keep the pots small,some shorties will fold like ironing ladies,and if they do just blind em out. But alot of them go into push/fold mode when they get this short, i often find it is only worth raising hds that you are prepared to call an all=in with.Incidently once they get to 10bb sit out and makem reload.Normally speaking its pretty easy to get them to bluff off there stack by inducing a bluff.Or just slowplaying them. But there is NOTHING more agravating than doubleing them up. p.s only playing h/u 3 wks feel free to disagree gl jus
Old 08-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: NL$$ how to deal with a short stacker and what can the ss do about it?

This may seem obvious but if you are playing heads up against a shortstack, you are playing shortstacked yourself. So if you want to beat a "good" shortstacker, you better learn how to be a "good" shortstacker. Experienced HU tourney players will probably be experts at this based on how tourneys are structured. Of course, I'm neither one so I will generally tighten up my raising range significantly and be willing to get it in preflop with any hand I'm playing for a raise. A lot of that depends on stack size though, if he's up to 30 BB then things are drastically different than if he's down to 10-15 BB, even 20 BB. It's the fluid stack situtation that makes it tough to me. Anything under 10 BB and I'm sitting out until he reloads. I do love it when they whine at this point about me letting them win their money back and then reload for like 7.27 BB more. I can't help but say, "Sorry, that's not enough."
Old 08-17-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I refuse to play 20bb shortstacks, also I highly doubt anyone is going to tell you how to play a shortstack better because everyone hates shortstacks (including me).

[/ QUOTE ]

What about 50bb short stacks?
i usually sit at the.5/1 cash tables when im bored and sit with 50 bucks, and it is the easiest game ive played. mostly even shorter stacks sit and have no idea how to play short stacked, they play way to tight, then get it in with a hand like q-j,and give me their monies. also the full buys assume that i am a terrible player( which i might be at some levels ,but i feel im at least par with some of the best 1-2nl players) and i proceed to double up through them, then they re-buy and i felt them.
the best way i feel to Deal with them, as a full buy is to not play them. you are always gonna feel that you are better, and will probably make bad desicions against them.
if you do play them, then i suggest be verry aggresive, you dont stand to win much, but you are usually playing a donk who will gamble trying to double up quickly. get there $50 deposit back. i usually push them around quite a bit until they push back, them tighten until i get a decent run of cards then go back to beating them about the brow, acouple dollars at a time before you know it there shoving k-q for $17....
Old 08-17-2007, 06:11 PM

I find short-stackers incredibly easy to trap. Just lead weak with any hand you are happy to call a shove with and they will bluff you nearly every time. Easy money.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think i'm the only 2+2'er who likes shortstacks. Full Ring i think they suck, but HU or 6max, I love them. They don't understand how to play and they'll call 20% of their stacks with suited connectors and stuff.

I find my winrate is much higher vs the short stack.

If I'm looking at 2 tables of $600NL and 1 has someone with a full buyin and another has someone with $120, I'll take the SS in a heart beat.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 PM

Shortstacking HU is fun. Full stacks suck at playing 20-30bb deep. The ones that are good, just don't play them.