Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
They need to start sending messages like this to everyone that illegally downloads stuff, this includes music and movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is seriously the best solution. It is my understanding that the RIAA basically admitted during this case that their lawsuits against consumers are a HUGE losing battle financially. They need to stop scaring people with taking a few select people to court, and instead blanket everyone they can find with a "We know you are sharing these songs, keep doing it and we're taking you to court" letter. Most people think they are anonymous but if they knew they were being watched they would probably stop doing it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't think the term "steal" is appropriate in this instance. It is nothing like stealing cds from a record store, it just isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at it black and white (right and wrong) then it is the same thing. Just because EVERYONE does it then doesn't mean that its rigth, clear and simple. Seriously justify it to yourself however you want, millions of people do it to themselves everyday. I'll I'm saying is that I hope that these people get at a minimum a warning because most of the people that do it think that A they aren't doing anything wrong or B they won't get caught. The truth is that they got you with your IP address.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there was a proper service that had basically every song ever made including tons of artists that aren't well known, and was also affordable, I would be the first to sign up. But AFAIK no such service exists, short of paying 99 cents per song which is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is such BS. come on man. you're basically saying IF there was a service that had every song ever, easy to access, at a price you were happy with, you'd happily use it, but until then you'll be happy to steal.

like i would love to have a service where i could order gourmet food to be delivered to my house within 15 minutes for only $5 a meal, and until that happens i will just have to go steal my food.

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard is it to ask for a service that has a wide selection of songs at an affordable price? I didn't say a service that has every song ever made at a dirt cheap price, although that would obviously be ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that there is a decent chunk of people who seem to think this is relevant. Its not.

Whether or not an industry is providing the best possible service, or one that you are happy with, etc, doesnt change the fact you must pay for the service if you choose to use it. Its only relevant to whether or not you choose to use it.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 PM

I may have a naieve point of view on this but why is it even illegal to download them. Isn't it our choice and freedom to do what we want online.

I can see the pedofile angle, but thats about it isnt it. how is this different then watching a movie over a friends house for free.

If someone wants to share something they purchased I dont see how thats wrong.

Internet just allows alot more people a way to share what someone has purchased.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:50 PM

It is illegal because the songs, movies, etc are copyrighed. Copyright law secures for the creator of a creative effort the exclusive right to control who can make copies, or make works derived from the original work. There's a pretty simple rule when it comes to the net. If you didn't write it, and you want to reproduce it, ask the creator otherwise don't copy it or put it on the net.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there was a proper service that had basically every song ever made including tons of artists that aren't well known, and was also affordable, I would be the first to sign up. But AFAIK no such service exists, short of paying 99 cents per song which is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is such BS. come on man. you're basically saying IF there was a service that had every song ever, easy to access, at a price you were happy with, you'd happily use it, but until then you'll be happy to steal.

like i would love to have a service where i could order gourmet food to be delivered to my house within 15 minutes for only $5 a meal, and until that happens i will just have to go steal my food.

[/ QUOTE ]

How hard is it to ask for a service that has a wide selection of songs at an affordable price? I didn't say a service that has every song ever made at a dirt cheap price, although that would obviously be ideal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems that there is a decent chunk of people who seem to think this is relevant. Its not.

Whether or not an industry is providing the best possible service, or one that you are happy with, etc, doesnt change the fact you must pay for the service if you choose to use it. Its only relevant to whether or not you choose to use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's relevant even if it's not an excuse to download music illegaly. A lot of people including myself would be more than happy to pay if somebody out there came out with a fair and affordable site with a good selection. Giving people the option to pay $15 for a cd or a dollar per track as opposed to downloading all the music they want for free when the latter is actually EASIER and involves almost no chance of being caught, of course people are going to go the route of downloading free music. It's partly the music industry's fault for not adapting to the times as to why p2p networking is as prevelant as it is.

Making a law and not enforcing it is in some cases worse than not making it a law to begin with. What ends up happening is a vast minority of the offenders get caught, and not nearly enough to scare anybody from doing it, and the people who do get caught are unfairly punished for something that half the country does anyways.

If tens of millions of Americans are getting away with this crime, don't you think it's a little unfair to consider all these people criminals and thiefs? Clearly there is a problem with the system, and until it gets fixed I don't think people should be punished for it or judged by fellow Americans. It's completely unfair.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If tens of millions of Americans are getting away with this crime, don't you think it's a little unfair to consider all these people criminals and thiefs? Clearly there is a problem with the system, and until it gets fixed I don't think people should be punished for it or judged by fellow Americans. It's completely unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most idiotic thing that I've ever read, seriously... Did you think before you typed this?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 PM

i dont understand how some of the people in this thread are winning poker players. the lack of ability to use your brain and think is astounding. a lot of it is probably immaturity as well (everyone does it so how can it be illegal!!)
Old 10-06-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the most idiotic thing that I've ever read, seriously... Did you think before you typed this?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may sound ridiculous, but really - it's not. I don't mean that if a bunch of people are getting away with a crime that it means it's ok for them to do it nessicarilly, but give me a break. Like half the country is downloading music on the internet because it's so [censored] easy and nobody seems to care. Do you consider all these people criminals and theifs? Do you think they deserve to be sued like this woman in that case? It's a bunch of bs and you know it.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand how some of the people in this thread are winning poker players. the lack of ability to use your brain and think is astounding. a lot of it is probably immaturity as well (everyone does it so how can it be illegal!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, good one guy with 9 posts who registered yesterday. Thanks for your insight.