Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 AM

Default NL10 - TPTK, min-raised on turn

Tricky spot - Villain was a bit of a maniac and playing way too many hands. (75/20/0.9 over small sample of 20 hands) I had seen him make raises from ep with small pocket pairs and there was a bit of history between him and MP2 (another maniac)

On the turn it was either fold or reraise all-in as he only had about $4.50 behind after this raise. So WA or WB I think ?

My image at the table was pretty solid, I had won a few pots and shown down some premium hands.

Help !

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 8 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $12.85
BB: $6.60
UTG: $10.00
UTG+1: $21.50
MP1: $9.80
MP2: $8.40
CO: $1.60
BTN: $3.60

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $0.40</font>, MP2 calls $0.40, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.35, BB folds

Flop: ($1.30) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.90</font>, MP1 calls $0.90, MP2 folds

Turn: ($3.10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $4.00</font>, Hero folds

Pot Size: $9.10 ($0.30 Rake)
Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: NL10 - TPTK, min-raised on turn

I am not a big fan of playing AQ from the SB with a call. I would either reraise or fold depending on the player who raised it preflop. In this case with the aggressive player opening from MP1 I would reraise preflop to 1,60, folding to a shove. That reraise also makes the hand a lot easier to play if you hit or miss. As played I would nearly pot the flop on this dangerous board against two players. Your turnbet is allright and your fold also. Tons of hands out there that beat you and there are also tons of scary river cards to come.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:07 AM

If he is truly a maniac then, you need to raise that preflop. AQ is substantially ahead of his range and your going to be oop post flop. If he plays back, then you can say he actually had a real hand this time. Hand plays differently after this.

Larude is right, bet the pot on the flop for value against two nut jobs.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:08 AM

I have seen a couple of other posts with similar message. Act strong beforehand (raise preflop, big c-bet, be agressive especially aginst this maniac), so you can easier make a decision afterwards.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 PM

I think Larude pretty much nailed it. I'm not calling with AQ either its raise or fold.

On the turn I'd get it all-in against a maniac. There is $7 in the pot after his raise and it costs you $6 more to see a pot of $17 (not sure if my calculations are correct since I'm too tired) and against a maniac this seems pretty good.

I'm also thinking of what he might have, the flop was drawy and he just called letting MP2 in on a very cheap draw if he had one. The 3 is unlikely to have helped him, which makes it look like he was on a draw of his own and now trying to steal the pot. I mean if he does have a straight or top two, why does he raise the turn instead of the flop?