Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Group Three: 8 vs 9
The Punisher (Thomas Jane) 57 49.14%
Flash Gordon (1980) 59 50.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Default a dumb basketball hypothetical question

First, put together a team of 4 players, past or present, in their primes. Now, what would be the best 5-man team your 4-man team could beat on a regular basis?
Old 06-24-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: a dumb basketball hypothetical question

I voted average NBA team only because the average team nowadays is pretty poor.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 PM

I bet like, Kobe, Jordan, Shaq and any random old white lady like my grandmother could stomp the Knicks
Old 06-24-2007, 11:40 PM

None of the above.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:52 PM

I would also vote None of the above if i had the option.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:01 AM

There are scrubby DI teams that would have no shot whatsoever. Not only are the players not good, they are small. A bad DI team could conceivably be a 40pt dog to a typical Duke/Carolina/Florida etc kind of team. Play 5 on 4 vs say Jordan, Shaq, Magic and Bird, they'd be totally hosed. You can only double one guy (likely Shaq), leaving the others, all of whom are big guys in their own right, with huge mismatches. Scoring in the paint would be really rare, leaving the bad DI team to shoot jumpshots all day, not a winning strategy since they'd likely be one and done.

I think the cutoff is likely a good DI team. Since there's no bench, I'd guess the mature prime NBA greats would wear down collegiate players and could win a close game.

I think the performance of today's Team USA vs international competition should serve as a pretty good barometer that 5 on 4 wouldn't work against even a poor NBA team.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are scrubby DI teams that would have no shot whatsoever. Not only are the players not good, they are small. A bad DI team could conceivably be a 40pt dog to a typical Duke/Carolina/Florida etc kind of team. Play 5 on 4 vs say Jordan, Shaq, Magic and Bird, they'd be totally hosed. You can only double one guy (likely Shaq), leaving the others, all of whom are big guys in their own right, with huge mismatches. Scoring in the paint would be really rare, leaving the bad DI team to shoot jumpshots all day, not a winning strategy since they'd likely be one and done.

I think the cutoff is likely a good DI team. Since there's no bench, I'd guess the mature prime NBA greats would wear down collegiate players and could win a close game.

I think the performance of today's Team USA vs international competition should serve as a pretty good barometer that 5 on 4 wouldn't work against even a poor NBA team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it what are you trying to say?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:54 AM

If Lebron/Carmelo/Wade/Howard/Brand or whatever group can lose to Puerto Rico, then it's reasonable to assume that Jordan/Magic/Bird/Shaq could/would lose to the Charlotte Bobcats.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:55 AM

Wilt Chamberlin, Lew Alcinder, Jordan, and Bill Russell. Shaq Kobe, Bird, and Magic are on the bench. So you've got 8 greats, but only 4 on the floor at a time. The problem I see is that even National Champ Florida just ISN'T getting into the paint. Conversely, there's not much they can do to protect the paint. How much chance do you have if you can't steal the ball, can't rebound, and can't prevent the dunk?

Of course, mabye I'm underestimating Noah's and Horford's ability to defend Shaq and Kareem.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:56 AM

I wish this hypothetical was a bit clearer. Is this under NBA rules? Also, is it 4 on 5 with both teams having a bench? If so, who rounds out the rest of the NBA Legends team?

Anyways, I'm going with average NCAA team, which I believe is a team ranked about 80th or an average NIT team.