Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Dogs in the Office

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some words to live by:

Never trust a guy who doesn't like dogs or sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just develop an allergy to the desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get it, but i'm dumb. please to explain.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dogs in the office would make me about 100x more likely to work there and about 500x more likely to give a damn about what I'm doing, since it's clear that the company has progressive policies and I like to see that things are shifting away from the boring rigor of working for the man and not having any personal freedoms or comforts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you bring your dog in every day? Would you respond to people having issues by maybe not bringing it in some days? I have a way bigger issue with the whole thing because of the owner's unwillingngess to give me (and others) a break every once in a while. The fact that they see the office as a workplace + dog day care is making me more intolerant of the dog.

KJS
Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some words to live by:

Never trust a guy who doesn't like dogs or sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love sports.

I never grew up with pets so I am not accustomed to them and never had a strong desire for one. Not really something you can blame someone for. And I also love to travel and having pets make it so you can't easily drop everything and move to Thailand (which I did) or take a job in London for 4 months (which I did). I like my independence, so no pets or kids for me.

Interestingly, that choice by me affects no one, whereas others people's choices to have these things seems to affect everyone.

KJS
Old 03-07-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just develop an allergy to the desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny because numerous other people have wondered what happens when someone comes in for a job interview and is allergic to dogs and sees them around. Not super likely but also not a totally inconsequential thing when you are a growing company trying to attract people in a tight job market.

KJS
Old 03-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Explain your reasoning to the boss and ask to move to another desk or have the dog lady move to another desk.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:53 PM

I love dogs in the right context.

If they're loud, smelly dogs, that context is NOT the office.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:55 PM

I guess I'm in the minority but I agree with OP. I also happen to be a dog/animal lover, so that's not the problem. It's just not appropriate for work; if I had an office job, I'd be pissed if someone brought their dog in and it was making noise all day the same way I wouldn't want someone to bring in a crying baby all day. This doesn't mean I don't like babies, just that I don't want to deal with one when I am working. Also someone who NEEDS to bring their dog into work everyday is probably a dog nut i.e. a weirdo. Everyone I know, including myself, just leaves their pets at home. (note: I've never had an office job so this is all hypothetical but I'm almost positive it's how I would feel)
Old 03-07-2007, 04:56 PM

Escalate things by getting a more obnoxious pet. I suggest going one of two directions: totally creepy (scorpion, large snake, etc.), or totally absurd (goat, small pig, some other unruly mammal). If you get a snake feed it mice, but mention it could probably eat a small dog.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Escalate things by getting a more obnoxious pet. I suggest going one of two directions: totally creepy (scorpion, large snake, etc.), or totally absurd (goat, small pig, some other unruly mammal). If you get a snake feed it mice, but mention it could probably eat a small dog.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is both awesome and a great point. Go with the miniature pot-bellied pig, those things are fun.