Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Dogs in the Office

{Cliff Notes at Bottom}

Does anyone here have any experiences dealing with the issues of dogs in the workplace? Background: I work at a medium sized (55 local employees) startup in Seattle. For 4 months last year I was working out of our London Office. During that time, we moved offices. When I returned to Seattle my new office is next door to someone who has a small dog that they bring to work with her EVERY SINGLE DAY. Apparently they got this OK'd by the CFO (who is the closest thing to HR we have here) who is pro-dog apparently. I happen to know that the building itself is not dog friendly but the CFO has a gentleman's agreement with them that we can have some dogs around here. Other people also have dogs and bring them in every once in a while. The person next door to me is the only one who has a dog in her office every day.

I am not a dog person. Never have been. And I am constantly annoyed by this animal whining, barking (not that often thankfully) and otherwise making noise. The owner even brought in squeaky toys for it that I had to point out were completely unnecessary and noisy and the CEO made her get rid of them after I complained.

My basic feeling is that the owner cannot control the dog's noise so every interaction is the same: "Sorry my dog is being loud today". I have no recourse except to be tolerant, whereas if I had issue with a co-worker making noise we could talk about ways to minimize it since they actually have control over how the noise is made. Since most of the noise comes from the dog whining when the owner is not in their office this situation is exacerbated since I cannot tell the owner to do something since they are gone. Not that the owner can make a dog stop whining or barking anyway.

The whole thing is really hurting my productivity because I am getting obsessed with every noise the dog makes, going to talk with other non-dog lovers about it, etc.. The owner's plan seems to include things like moving offices (thus pawning the noise off on others) but never just not having a pet in the office. I have received emails to the extent of "I don't know what I would do if I couldn't bring him in anymore" so it seems a rational thing like some pet daycare is not on the owner's radar.

What would you do if you were me? My tolerance for this whole situation is so gone.

Cliff Notes: Person in office next door brings in dog daily. OP hates it. Company officers have OK'd dog being there.

KJS
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Dogs in the Office

You sound like a real drag to work with.

I see a management position in your future.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:22 PM

Either:

Dog-kabobs or...

"I'm sorry <insert co-workers name>, your dog has met with an untimely 'accident'. Have a nice day."
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM

or, tell the higher-ups that the dog leaves or you leave.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:24 PM

Easy, 2 choices, suck it up or quit.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:25 PM

This sounds like the Anonymous Lawyer post about dogs in the office. Consequently, it is very funny.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:28 PM

Dogs in the office would make me about 100x more likely to work there and about 500x more likely to give a damn about what I'm doing, since it's clear that the company has progressive policies and I like to see that things are shifting away from the boring rigor of working for the man and not having any personal freedoms or comforts.

Now if you don't like dogs...that's not a great situation for you. And obviously if the dog is mis-behaving, that's another thing. But a mild-mannered dog in the office is something that I'm thrilled to see.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM

just ask for an office away from the dog.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Here are some words to live by:

Never trust a guy who doesn't like dogs or sports.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just develop an allergy to the desk.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP